Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS850GL - Blowing Headlights, idles at 18 volts

Hi GsResources,

I am new to electrical systems and am trying to wrap my head around the common electrical issues I've read on this site. I have mostly seen charging issues where the battery dies, which points to the stator phases going out, but not quite sure about over charging.

I've blown 2 headlights now and finally measured the voltage on the battery as it is running. 18 volts idling at ~1000 rpm, 19.5-19.9 volts slightly revving, maybe ~2500-3000 rpm.

Is this an easy fix or do you knowledgeable folks need more information?

The regulating part of your regulator/rectifier system is not working to keep the voltage controlled to about 14.4 Volts.
    Symptoms include blowing bulbs and if not fixed for a while, boiling of battery. Check what the electrolyte level is.
    Many of us have replaced the R/R with an SH775 series unit.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
      The regulating part of your regulator/rectifier system is not working to keep the voltage controlled to about 14.4 Volts.
      Symptoms include blowing bulbs and if not fixed for a while, boiling of battery. Check what the electrolyte level is.
      Many of us have replaced the R/R with an SH775 series unit.
      Great! Sounds like a simple replacement. Is the SH775 preferable to a Suzuki OEM unit?

And I have an AGM battery in it. Is there anything I could check on that?

Comment

Yes. Do some searching on the site. Use advanced search, put in your keywords. Choose titles only to get any meaningful search results.

welcome to the site. Some useful links for you in my signature. The charging system sorted thread had my complete charging system saga, but there are many just like it on the forum. Basically, a new (used) genuine Shindengen SH 775, probably a new stator, clean up your wiring, eliminate the headlamp loop, should get you going. If I were you I’d start with a new good battery. I wouldn’t trust the one you have.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by TastyChevelle View Post
          Great! Sounds like a simple replacement. Is the SH775 preferable to a Suzuki OEM unit?

And I have an AGM battery in it. Is there anything I could check on that?
          Don't know if the oem is even available and even if it was I would not get one. It was designed to allow the generator to run at full whack and dump the excess into the generator windings. When regulators failed this had the added bonus of frying the stator windings. The SH775 unit switches off the current if not needed and I've only seen one report of a failure.
          Some of the guys here have listed sources for one but beware of pretend copies or same as deals on ebay. Again, lots of threads here about that issue, how to recognise a genuine part and how to wire them up including the elimination of a loop to the headlight that won't be needed.
          Know nothing about AGM except how to spell it. For the time being avoid riding it.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            Don't know if the oem is even available and even if it was I would not get one. It was designed to allow the generator to run at full whack and dump the excess into the generator windings. When regulators failed this had the added bonus of frying the stator windings. The SH775 unit switches off the current if not needed and I've only seen one report of a failure.
            Some of the guys here have listed sources for one but beware of pretend copies or same as deals on ebay. Again, lots of threads here about that issue, how to recognise a genuine part and how to wire them up including the elimination of a loop to the headlight that won't be needed.
            Know nothing about AGM except how to spell it. For the time being avoid riding it.

Thanks! I'm reading up on regulators. Is what you're describing with the current dump into the stator windings a shunt type regulator?

And looks like genuine SH775's on Polaris parts sites (p/n 4012941) run ~$200

But just bought a used one on Ebay for ~$60

Thanks guys! Learning lots!

Comment

You don’t need to buy a new SH775. Look up member Nessism and see if he has a used one that’s tested. Or find one on eBay. If you find one on eBay and you’re not sure if it’s genuine, post it here and we’ll try to help you out.

Oh, I see you found one. Might we have a look?
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                You don’t need to buy a new SH775. Look up member Nessism and see if he has a used one that’s tested. Or find one on eBay. If you find one on eBay and you’re not sure if it’s genuine, post it here and we’ll try to help you out.

Oh, I see you found one. Might we have a look?

Sure!

Stock Image. This is a stock image representing the product you will receive. All items will be in good usable condition. Please check fitment chart for compatibility for your model. Please email or message us with any possible questions in regard to fitment or specifics. We are hear to help you get your machine back up and moving. Thanks for shopping with Powersportsnation.

Comment

Sure!

Stock Image. This is a stock image representing the product you will receive. All items will be in good usable condition. Please check fitment chart for compatibility for your model. Please email or message us with any possible questions in regard to fitment or specifics. We are hear to help you get your machine back up and moving. Thanks for shopping with Powersportsnation.

Looks fine. Triumph has a pigtail harness that plugs right in that sells for about $10.

Wire it up like this...

SH775 Install by nessism, on Flickr
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yep, powersportsnation is a trusted seller of genuine good used ones, in my experience.
                    Caution - don't start the bike until you fix this, else you'll kill your ignitor.
                    18V hasn't done it any favours already, so just hope it's not damaged.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

If you are on your way of replacing with a sh755, do proceed with that.

whats the chance the 850 has had a Honda r/r installed? Can tell because it will have the 3 stator wires, the positive and the ground like stock and most, but the Honda will also have a “sense” wire that others don’t, and needs to be tied to a positive that is switched off with the key (often power to brake lever switch). Reason I ask, is if you do have one of those Honda r/r (a common improvement for some time) and If that Sense wire is disconnected or other such problem with it that r/r putts out max it can all the time. I had this happen, 17v at low speed and over 19 at speed. Just thought I would mention it.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        If you are on your way of replacing with a sh755, do proceed with that.

whats the chance the 850 has had a Honda r/r installed? Can tell because it will have the 3 stator wires, the positive and the ground like stock and most, but the Honda will also have a “sense” wire that others don’t, and needs to be tied to a positive that is switched off with the key (often power to brake lever switch). Reason I ask, is if you do have one of those Honda r/r (a common improvement for some time) and If that Sense wire is disconnected or other such problem with it that r/r putts out max it can all the time. I had this happen, 17v at low speed and over 19 at speed. Just thought I would mention it.
                        Hi,

I don't think it had a Honda installed, here are some pictures (sorry, wasn't able to upload them but hopefully the link works):

Can't quite make out the writing:

However, I do have this reg/rec from my old 1982 Kawasaki KZ that is out of commission I could steal for the time being:

Shindengen SH230:

6 wires:

Any idea how this SH230 would wire up to my bike?

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                          Yep, powersportsnation is a trusted seller of genuine good used ones, in my experience.
                          Caution - don't start the bike until you fix this, else you'll kill your ignitor.
                          18V hasn't done it any favours already, so just hope it's not damaged.
                          Hi,

I've probably put a good amount of miles on the bike the way it is. Any suggestions on how to check the health of the igniter?

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            Looks fine. Triumph has a pigtail harness that plugs right in that sells for about $10.

Wire it up like this...

SH775 Install by nessism, on Flickr
                            Hi Ed,

Thanks, looks simple enough! I ordered this kit earlier today:

Comment

I initially bought that same Amazon connection kit to connect my SH775. It worked fine, but, a few months ago I replaced it with the legit item from Triumph for the same money. The Triumph kit is WAY better. Connections are potted into the terminal blocks, and the wires are a much thicker gauge.

regarding posting pics: you already have an Imgur account, that’s half the battle. The rest is a little tricky, but once you know how will be no big deal. Follow the link in my signature.
                              Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-02-2021, 09:19 PM.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                              X