No announcement yet.

1983 GS850GL - Blowing Headlights, idles at 18 volts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone, an update! The Kawasaki reg/rec I mentioned before works!
    Wired up:
    https://i.imgur.com/Uqzt9iH.jpg

Running at 1000 rpm:

14.24 volts! Far cry from the 18 volts at idle before.

Thanks everyone, learned a lot more about old bikes in a short time span!

Thanks for the tip, Rich, but the files are massive, and the smaller sizes Imgur allows are too small.

Comment

Size doesn’t matter. I downloaded your pic, uploaded it to my Imgur account. Copied the BBCode (Huge thumbnail). That took about 10 seconds. It took me longer to type this reply. All I’m saying is, people appreciate and are more likely to reply to questions when you post pictures in this way rather than posting a link or small pic that has to be clicked on to view properly.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-03-2021, 03:01 PM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Good to hear of the success.

In your post #12, I got lost between which is what was present and what you had as a spare. And I thought I already explained about 5wire verse 6 wire R/Rs. ANd then I had to go.

If I understand correct, now you have this installed ("wired") and all is working (over 14vdc).

Which appears to be the 6 wire, what I called the Honda r/r, (also used on Kawa).
        The three that are same color, typically yellow, are the ac input from the stator. The red/wht is the DC out. THe black is the negitive-ground. And then the 6th wire, kinda brown or tan is what I called the "sense" line that needs to be tied to a hot wire of the bike that is switched on/off with the key. (will work if tie to batt+ but will also cause a little bit of a drain when parked.)
        Perhpas you have already figured all that out.

Do I understand properly that as shown in the pic is how it is installed on the bike? The harness there is from your bikes existing r/r, and connected to the spare Kawa r/r you had? The harness there appears to have the stock color codes, so maybe was a stock r/r.

The bike has and had the mating connector?
        And then the the kaw r/r grey sense wire is connected to the bikes red wire.
        And then probably red wire in the bikes connector is connected as the stock wiring to the main red wire in the bike that is unswitched (still connected to battery+ when key off), in which case, the sense line (brown?gray?) of the r/r will be causing a small drain on battery when key is off. SHould be okay if bike is on maintainer charger, otherwise will drain the battery over several days.

And the kaw r/r red/wht wire (the r/r output) has a ring terminal, I assume is then connected to battery+ (or the solenoid post which essentially is batt+ but ring terminal doesnt look big enough).....? Most folks would recommend a fuse there if connected directly to the battery (or solenoid).
        ANd then there is a long detailed discussion about how having the r/r directly to battery+ (or solenoid) varies from stock, and then more current going thru the main fuse most of the time .... but we will leave that till later.... not that important, and different folks have different understanding.

Good that you have it back in operation.
        So you have it charging well now. Good.
        THe benifit of installing the sh775 is that it is easier on the stator and stator last longer. If/when you do install the sh775, it doesnt have a sense line.
        Last edited by Redman; 04-03-2021, 06:04 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

To post as a picture:
          Use the gsr forum icon for "insert image" (square thing with a tree in it) (not the thing that looks like film strip), use the "from URL" tab,
          paste in the https : / /i.imgur.com/Uqzt9iH. j p g there (not in the posting), click off the check mark, click OK.

Or.... in imgur, I dont know if you are using the app or the web site, but maybe the share function has a way to get the IMG code or the BB code, and then just paste that directly into the posting (without using the icon). Will look something like this, but then display as the picture when is posted,
          [IMG ]//https : //i.imgur.com/ Uqzt9iH.jpg /// [/IMG ]
          (I buggered it up so you can see the code without it displaying as the picture)
          Last edited by Redman; 04-03-2021, 05:51 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

That SH230 will be of the same "shunt" operation as the stock but will regulate better than the stock. The SH775 or the 8 series are Series regulators. They regulate by going open circuit rather than shorting (shunting). The difference is the latter creates a lot of heat in the Stator.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
            X