Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 GS450: replacement factory-ish coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS450: replacement factory-ish coils?

Hey guys,

I was replacing my valve cover gasket, and when I pulled off my spark plugs boot, it separated from the wire - corrosion had finally eaten away the 40 year old connection.

Am I right that these wires are not replaceable? If so, does anyone have a recommendation for replacement that won't wipe out my bank account? I have a project 82 Yamaha Virago that I'm going to steal a coil from for the meantime (4.8 ohms), but I am planning to get the Yamaha running soon, so it's just a short-term solution.

Always appreciate the depth of knowledge here!
    --------------------------------------------------
    1982 GS450LZ - Daily Driver

Honda MP-08 coils, as fitted to CB1000s, Goldwing 1500s, various other Hondas for years.
    They fit almost anything that needs a 4ohm primary and have replaceable high voltage leads.

For a list of where they were used...
    Buy Honda 30510-KT7-023 - IGNITION COIL. This OEM part is guaranteed by Honda's limited part warranty ✓ FREE Shipping on qualified orders - Partzilla.com
    Last edited by Grimly; 04-04-2021, 01:03 PM.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks Grimly!

How does the coil know which side to ignite with only one connection to the bike? The stock setup has two coils, one for each side. Or is it a situation where the non-firing cylinder is exhausting, so both spark at the same time?
      --------------------------------------------------
      1982 GS450LZ - Daily Driver

Comment

I missed that you've got a 450 twin.
        From what I now see, you've got two seperate coils with one HT lead each, so ignore the recommendation of the MP08 coil.
        Last edited by Grimly; 04-04-2021, 02:51 PM.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I won't say yours is the exact same but most of our bikes use a wasted spark type system; each side fires at the same time but only one is used.
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Try these ...should be plug and play
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have Honda MP06 coils on my GSX250.

Comment

Working...
              X