Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DU anti-friction ring

Hey.
    Im getting ready to rebuild my front forks because I have a leaking oil seal. I bought the oil and dust seal but upon reading the Clymer manual, I find that I would have to change the upper and lower DU anti-friction rings. Given that they are more expensive, Is it really necessary to change them? Its just that im supposed to do the job with a friend next sunday and Im not sure if the parts will come in time from the dealer.

Upper ring:51152-45400
    Lower ring: 51121-45400

L.Leblanc
    1982 GS650GL

Most people get away without changing those.. they don't seem to wear out very commonly
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Oh thanks, its just that I have a friend who is a mecanic that is coming to help me do the job and I didn't want to postpone the job to wait for the parts since the season is starting!

Comment

What the heck is a DU ring?

Anyway, unless a lot of crap has gotten past the seals into the fork, and/or the bike has done a LOT of miles, the teflon coating on these bushings generally lasts quite a long time. I've seen them in fine shape at 80,000 - 100,000 miles.

The upper ones see more stress and wear faster.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
        X