Gs650 fuel indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs650 fuel indicator

When I got my 1982 Gs650GL the previous owner treated the gas tank with an epoxy compound after acid-treating it. He told me that the fuel indicator couldn't fit anymore so he took it off. I want my bike to be as stock as possible(I like the vintage style) so I would really want to get it working, especially with the season starting soon. So two questions:

1) Anybody ever experienced this problem? if so, how did you fix it? Is it really so bad that it doesn't fit anymore?
    2)I know a lot of people are running cafe's so if you have a fuel sending unit for sale I would be interested!

Thanks!

L.Leblanc
    1982 GS650GL

When PO said he didn’t put it back, there must be more to the story, he had to put something back or else would be big hole in tank.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

He put the plate in, but im not sure if the sender is inside. Im getting my back out of storage soon, ill get some pictures for you and ill dissasemble it.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        When PO said he didn’t put it back, there must be more to the story, he had to put something back or else would be big hole in tank.
        Yes, I agree...maybe he just epoxied a block off plate in place.
        But here’s an eBay item that looks clean
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Yes, I agree...maybe he just epoxied a block off plate in place.
          But here’s an eBay item that looks clean
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/81-SUZUKI-G....m46890.l49286
          I think he put the epoxy treatment while the sender was still in there so its probably frozen solid in epoxy and therefore garbage. Im thinking, if I take it off and use a dremmel to clean the plate, I could make it work. I just don't know if he put too much epoxy then the walls of the tank could be too thick and maybe the sender would't fit anymore. I will open it. ASAP. Do you have pictures of the tank open or dissasembled?

Comment

They're not super useful anyways in my experience. Nothing beats the "trip meter" reset to 00000 when you fill up

Comment

You may have an issue with removing the fuel sending unit if the tank was coated "properly". Good epoxy sealer is tough stuff!
              Ron
              When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
              1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
              1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
              1982 GS1100E
              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Ah, its just for the sake of having one while my friends with 30 years younger bikes dont have it! They really were fully equiped for their time these Suzuki.

Comment

Yes,sorry, it's nice to have the thing working- I get that for sure but if it's looking like too much trouble....I'd at least want a picture to make a judgement call whether a chisel would crack it off...a picture showing the glue seam ? Not all epoxy jobs are equal....clear epoxies often just pop off hit right. But JBWeld, carefully applied...mmmm. You could bend the tank...and heat applied might melt the tank's coating before or after the tank catches fire

A new complete tank might be the best option if you are really itching bad.
                  OR glue on a magnet to keep the needle to "Full" ? That will be less disturbing to look at
                  Last edited by Gorminrider; 04-05-2021, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                    Yes,sorry, it's nice to have the thing working- I get that for sure but if it's looking like too much trouble....I'd at least want a picture to make a judgement call whether a chisel would crack it off...a picture showing the glue seam ? Not all epoxy jobs are equal....clear epoxies often just pop off hit right. But JBWeld, carefully applied...mmmm. You could bend the tank...and heat applied might melt the tank's coating before or after the tank catches fire

A new complete tank might be the best option if you are really itching bad.
                    OR glue on a magnet to keep the needle to "Full" ? That will be less disturbing to look at
                    Ill get you pictures, probably thursday when I get it out of storage. Il thinking that if I can get the old one out, a new one will probably work since it won't be stuck in epoxy!

Comment

I gave up on mine. The sender was making intermittent contact so the gauge was bouncing all over the place. I left the sender in the tank and disconnected the wires.

Jim
                      1981 GS550T (Long gone)
                      1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

So I checked and looks like he did the epoxy treatment while the sender was still in the tank, probably because he didn't take the time to make a block off plate. I imagine if I buy a new sender and plug it back in it would work?

Comment

Working...
                        X