Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Is The Year!

Default This Is The Year!

I recently did the chain and sprockets on my bike, with thanks to the team at Z1 Enterprises. I did the 630-530 conversion. I've logged 100+ miles since and it's working like a clock. I plan to a bunch of riding this year, as I didn't even so much as start the thing last year. Year before was a bit slack too. Next up is to finally overhaul the air box, also time to look at the valves again. The bike is running fine, tho balky to start when cold. I'd done the intake O-rings in recent history, but I know that air box can use some TLC.

It's also the year of bicycling, I started late last summer. I wasn't sure how much I'd like it but I really love it, especially hopping on all the rail trails we have around here. I don't have any real interest in single track trails, or extensive road riding. But pedaling on 2 wheels is a hoot, and good for the heart.

See you on the roads! And if anyone finds themselves in northern NJ I could be up for a ride and rumor has it I bring muffins.
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Allie! Long time, Good to see you back and hope you are well. Wont be down for muffins anytime soon but if you come up here to Canada i will treat you to some Dutch Ollieballen! They go back to the 17th century in Holland. My mum made them for us when we were kids, then after Christmas I heard an interview with a Dutch grocer who sells them around New Years. My mouth was watering just recalling them, so I made a few batches after getting the recipe online.

Allie, that’s great to hear.
    I did a lot of bicycling last year thanks to my younger son. Along with the health benefits, hanging out with him and doing late night rides around town or early rides at the reservoir were great for my mental health. He truly is one of the funniest people I know. Conversations can go from mundane to sublime to absurd, sometimes in the same sentence.

Covid aside, last year was a tough one, but a somewhat of a silver lining was that I got a lot of time in on the GS, often trying to figure out where the heck and why things went off of the rails. It looks like I will be able to get some decent moto time this year as well. I made it as far north as Milford last year, and on one particularly beautiful moonlit night I rode up to Frenchtown on the Jersey side, then back down on the PA side.

I’m hoping this year will be another good one for riding.

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Last year with the corona virus, and all the shutdowns really blew. Plus the big freeze W/90 hour power outage in Texas, I am very optimistic about the rest of this year. In the last few weeks I have been getting out in nature and loving it.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Nature sure does nurture the soul.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Nature sure does nurture the soul.
    Indeed. It is the realization that our birthright as part of and inseparable from the natural world is what grounds our cores. For some of us anyway.
    1979 GS1000
    1981 GL500 Interstate

bonanzadave is offline Forum Guru Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    It's also the year of bicycling, I started late last summer.
    I found a like new Trek Navigator (hybrid) last fall on CL. Bike, rack, bag, helmet. $200. Really a nice smooth ride. Bit heavy but most of my trails are flat paved.

The GS and I are fast approaching our 40th anniversary. Man....the roads we have been down......
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Quote Originally Posted by bonanzadave View Post
    I found a like new Trek Navigator (hybrid) last fall on CL. Bike, rack, bag, helmet. $200. Really a nice smooth ride. Bit heavy but most of my trails are flat paved.

The GS and I are fast approaching our 40th anniversary. Man....the roads we have been down......
    Sounds like a nice rig! I tuned up a Sears Flea Spirit 10 speed someone gave me years ago and started riding a bunch of railways that got converted into multi use trails. Not the ideal bike, but it did the job.

My neighbor moved in Jan and I snagged a bike they put down by the road that their daughter used to ride. It's a Royce Union mtb from '99 (a full 20 years younger than my Sears!) - I put a comfy seat and grips, and some nice Conti hybrid tires and it's a lot nicer (less bone rattling and tiring) to ride over roots, ripples, gravel, exposed ballast, etc. and does okay on the road around town. New bicycles (not to mention guitars and swords) are mighty scarce these days, I was hoping to buy a new Specialized hybrid but they ain't coming in. This should do for now.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Iím riding a 20 something year old Trek purchased second hand from a college student. It gets the job done, but feels rather antiquated in comparison to my sonís second hand GT hybrid with front suspension.

Allie, are the rail trails up there worth a trip from Freehold? Asked in regards to both the actual riding and potential photography spots.

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Good to see folks getting out. I've been doing a lot this past year+, more than usual for sure. Between the mountain bike and my feet (skiing and hiking) I'm probably up to 2,500 to 3,000 kms.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/