Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This Is The Year!

Quote Originally Posted by dorkburger View Post
    I’m riding a 20 something year old Trek purchased second hand from a college student. It gets the job done, but feels rather antiquated in comparison to my son’s second hand GT hybrid with front suspension.

Allie, are the rail trails up there worth a trip from Freehold? Asked in regards to both the actual riding and potential photography spots.
    Probably, depending how bored you are with what you've been doing. I'm still exploring, but in a nutshell the rail trails up her comprise Sussex Branch, which stretches between Waterloo Village and Branchville, and the Paulinskill Valley trail which extends from Lafayette all the way to Portland by the De River. The two trails intersect not far from my house - - lucky me! There's lots of nice stuff to see which I'm still discovering. I'll try to be more detailed after work tonight. There are probably great trails closer, in Morris and Hunterdon counties too.
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

...Continued...

Susses Branch starts at Waterloo Village which is in the vicinity of Stephens State Park, and Allamuchy Mountain State Park. There is a whole slew of mountain bike trails in that area, some connected to Sussex Branch. I'm sure you can dig up info on them if interested. The rail trail goes from there to Andover a handful of miles away. Andover has a bike shop close to the trail if you need anything. They also have antiques and pizza... not much else! This is the start of where I've ridden the trail. At the edge of town you cross 206 and the riding is nice and easy, well traveled. Most of the trail is wooded, with ponds, cut rock faces, fields, marshes, etc. I don't know if there's anything picturesque like you'd get at the top of High Point but there are a lot of pretty sights. A handful of miles from Andover you run right past Kittatinny State Park. Cross Goodale Ave and go on in - it's small but pretty, and has some MTB trails around it. It also borders a lake at the far end, and the small but well traveled private Aeroflex Airport is there. A few miles further up Sussex Branch you come to Newton - Some of the trail has been erased by 'progress' and you get directed to ride down Hicks Ave to get on the northern leg of the trail but don't do that, it's no fun. There's a way to connect that takes a little longer and isn't marked, but you have a lot less street travel to do it. If interested I can tell you how. Beyond Newton (5 miles?) you come to Warbasse Junction, where Sussex Branch intersects with Paulinskill. If you keep going north you will go through the town of Lafayette, which has some interesting antique shops and cafes. There's also a Quick Check easily reached from the trail. Beyond Lafayette the trail gets a little rough with a perpetual mud hole, some loose gravel, and exposed ballast. That part's no fun at all on a 10 speed... Gonna try it with the new bike soon. At the end it dumps you into the small town of Branchville. It's a pretty rural town with not much going on in it. I rode from my house in Newton to my friend's house in Branchville on the trail and it was about 10 miles one way.

Paulinskill - I've only ridden a small slice of it but I think it's probably the nicer trail, with less interruptions, and also the longer trail. From Warbasse Junction it goes a couple-three miles SE and abruptly ends at Sunset Inn Road. In the other direction it goes a couple-three miles NW then swings a leisurely arc SW, and keeps on going. It passes Paulinskill Lake, and at that point Swartswood State Park is a short ride down the county road, it's really pretty there with a beach on Swartswood Lake. Then you just keep pedaling, Blairstown is the biggest thing you come across, several miles on. It's worth it to knock around the town and get something to eat if you have time. Several miles past Blairstown the trail ends by Columbia and the Delaware River. 'nuff said about the views! The small town of Portland PA is right across the river. I plan to ride the Paulinskill trail as much as I can this year to see what's on it.

Another thing I'd like to try is riding up in the Walpack area, there are no 'bike trails' that I know of but there are a lot of old fire roads, little used (and maintained) dirt roads, abandoned houses, etc. I've explored much of this area on the 'Zuki but I think it would be more fun on a trail bike or failing that a bicycle.

One thing I love about the rail trails is that the grades are for the most part very gentle so you can do some cruisin'. North Jersey is quite hilly otherwise.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Thanks for the details. Definitely sounds like something worth checking out. I'm familiar with the beauty of that area of our state, but not in detail like you are.

Blairstown is another story.... Many years ago my GS was impounded there when I was pulled over and didn't have proof of insurance or registration.... They were in a different jacket...

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Quote Originally Posted by dorkburger View Post
    Thanks for the details. Definitely sounds like something worth checking out. I'm familiar with the beauty of that area of our state, but not in detail like you are.

Blairstown is another story.... Many years ago my GS was impounded there when I was pulled over and didn't have proof of insurance or registration.... They were in a different jacket...
    Ouch Yeah they're hardapples there. Another forum member received a Performance Award out that way after adjusting his carbs at my house. Good to know he got those things singing.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

I slacked off over the winter, so my cardio is crap.
    I've been walking a 2 mile loop down/ up Cooper Mt and my lap time is coming down
    I ride my 37 year old Mt bike now that the weather is warming up.
    I'd start jogging, but my feet won't like it
    I just wish the pools were open
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

A couple of pics from the Paulinskill Trail:

Taken by me last fall, at Warbasse Junction.

Fairly close to Warbasse Junction.

Taken by my friend this spring, I'm not sure where on the trail this is. I live for stuff like this!

Soon I'll be riding more of this trail!

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

I've seen enough. Looks like a cool area. Thanks.

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Cool that you are enjoying getting off the road onto some earth. I haven't been offroading as much as I did the past few years, but I'm aiming to get back to it. Here's my rig set up for roads and mild dirt pathways.

C538A3AD-E4EA-4BB0-BAC7-CF71DDAE2CF9.jpg
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

This was from this evening ...
    90C2C6CD-6AAC-4D0E-8904-494E8629454C.jpg
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f