Reasons battery drains overnight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons battery drains overnight

Funny, I've been disconnecting the battery after every time I finished messing with the ignition installation, and lastnight seeing that everything was working well I left the battery connected, and the day i go to start it up the battery ends up dead lol.

What's the reasons a battery will drain with the bike completely off?
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Battery is charging right now gonna hook it up tonight when it's ready enough and see how bike is doing with the new ignition, but will start solving this right after ignition is forsure set.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

I'm gonna lean towards bad regulator, started bike up and was pretty fine until I gave it enough rev to start that hanging idle again, and when it went back to normal idle speed it ended up going under normal idle and shut off soon after
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Ordered a new Polaris sh775, the one I got was used and worked for a while, but blew out I guess. I really hope it didnt blow my ignition, just got it lol
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Blown SH775? Colour me skeptical; at least from what you've written...but I guess you did check voltages etc.
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
            Blown SH775? Colour me skeptical; at least from what you've written...but I guess you did check voltages etc.

Nevermind on the order, bike is just frustrating and I went to buy a part thinking that's what it was but more than likely isnt.

I dont know what the heck is going on.

Stator is bad but I'm just trying to get the bike running correctly before I replace, I thought maybe the regulator was sending inconsistent voltage throughout bike but its obviously separate from the ignition system. Gonna need a day or two off.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

“Gonna need a day or two off.”
              good plan , take a break and head to beach.

A fully charged battery will let you run for about 45 minutes...unless you do a lot of starting.....so disconnect charging system and figure out idle issues .
              I doubt you can smoke a sh-775 even with bad stator.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                “Gonna need a day or two off.”
                good plan , take a break and head to beach.

A fully charged battery will let you run for about 45 minutes...unless you do a lot of starting.....so disconnect charging system and figure out idle issues .
                I doubt you can smoke a sh-775 even with bad stator.
                Think its carbs, I dont know about the lope but I'm guessing carbs are leaning. Gonna take a piece of paper and have it next to throttle and tape a sharpie to throttle, do a full turn with bike off and make increments for when certain jets turn on, if I get the hanging idle when I hit an increment consistently, I'll know the problem and the right section to mess with.

Hopefully lope goes away when carbs are sorted.

Gonna take a slow-mo video of spark plugs to ensure they are firing correctly.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Well your plugs might seem to be firing correctly, but they might be misfiring at times causing an inconsistent idle.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    Well your plugs might seem to be firing correctly, but they might be misfiring at times causing an inconsistent idle.
                    Possibly, I did clean them. I'll get new ones
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

If you ever need to look for a battery drain, use a multi meter and set it to amps. Normally you have to switch the positive lead on the meter to another location on the meter. You use this position only for meaduring amps, and most meters wont tolerate many amps, 10A is the normal max I see for small meters. Unhook either battery cable and place the meter in line between the battery cable and the battery. Any power being used will show up on the meter expressed in amps. You can unplug fuses, and wires to start tracking the circuit that is causing the drain. So disconnect either battery terminal, put one volt meter lead on the battery post, and the other volt meter lead on the battery cable you disconnected. Don't turn on the ignition or try to operate the starter with the volt meter hooked up like this of the meter will likely get overloaded. Remember to switch the red probe to the amps socket on the meter. Don't forget to switch it back after you are finished, If you don't switch the red wire back to normal and you try to measure volts the meter will cause a direct short and blow the internal fuse in the meter. It is also worth while disconnecting your battery and see if it self drains overnight. Certain battery problems can cause a battery to self discharge.
                      Last edited by metalfab; 04-14-2021, 01:55 AM.
                      1981 GS1100E
                      1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                      X