Inconsistent ignition system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inconsistent ignition system

Switched to the dyna S ignition, started the bike up and at first things were going pretty good, but first the bike was loping like it used to before I changed the coil plugs, and was on and off from a drone to that lope, the ignition was working fine with the spark test and everything was timed correctly.

Secondly when i went to about 4k, I had that hanging idle again, and when it dropped back down, the bike went under the normal idle and wanted to die out.

What should i look at? Killswitch is cleaned, connections from signal genrator to coilpacks are clean, the coilpacks have came back with reading that are in spec and not near going out, what the heck do I do now?

All I can think of is checking the timing advance but it's been checked before and the advance was advancing and retarding fine, I'm gonna get new wire for the connection of the signal genrator to the coilpacks but this is really stumping me.
    Last edited by timebombprod; 04-06-2021, 03:26 AM.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

I just checked my spark to make sure the ignition system didnt fry from whatever happened and both coils do run spark consistently and at the right time. Idk wtf is going on.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

My memory is poor, but didn’t you dig out /replace the spark plug leads on ignition coils?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        My memory is poor, but didn’t you dig out /replace the spark plug leads on ignition coils?
        Yes, the leads are fine and the coilpacks did clear the resistance test well within specs.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

I'm still having a short in the battery box area, and my bike did go from all 4 cylinders back to being a twin, what in the battery box area can cause that?

It's the negative sides of coils that drop, never a full coil
          Last edited by timebombprod; 04-06-2021, 08:38 PM.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

“Yes, the leads are fine and the coilpacks did clear the resistance test well within specs.”

I’m sure they do...but what about when ignition modules are firing them by repeatedly making/breaking their ground contact? Any weakness in the plug wire repair could cause random misfiring.

“It's the negative sides of coils that drop, never a full coil”

unclear what you mean here
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              “Y

“It's the negative sides of coils that drop, never a full coil”

unclear what you mean here

The negative sides of the coilpacks, cylinder 3 and 4.

I just changed out a good bit of connections for new fresh ones and most likely am gonna do new wires for the ignition to the coilpacks.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                Yes, the leads are fine and the coilpacks did clear the resistance test well within specs.
                With or without the sparkplug caps?
                What I am asking is if you have checked the sparkpug caps.
                (Or maybe your aftermarlkedt ignition system doesnt have the resisitor type caps.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  With or without the sparkplug caps?
                  What I am asking is if you have checked the sparkpug caps.
                  (Or maybe your aftermarlkedt ignition system doesnt have the resisitor type caps.)
                  Yes the caps are fine, all are right next to 5ohms
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

If my.ignition fuse blew what do I check, happened at about 5-6k
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

All I have for an ignition system is the dyna S and coils as far as I know.
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                      X