Starter clutch repair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter clutch repair.

For those people who need to repair a damaged starter clutch that has had the pins blown out or denting the formed metal piece that is dimpled to hold it in place. In my case 2 of the 3 pins had blown right through the wall. The pins and springs were missing and later found in the sump. The 3rd pin and spring was driven hard up into the hole and was stuck in place.

The way I was able to repair mine was to drill out the dented area to get access the the back of the pin area. Care must be taken drilling straight down through the formed metal. Once through the outer piece, you must then drill or use an end mill to carefully clear out plug. You are then able to push the spring and pin out.

Before you can replace the old parts with the new ones you bought. You will have to have 3 new plugs with center nib made up and pressed back in and welded place. These plugs with the center nib are what your new spring must seat it's self on before loading the hollow push pin onto the spring and up into the hole before loading the dogs that actually grab onto the gear.

One small caution about your new replacement parts. I tried for over an hour to load the gear onto the clutch by pushing back the 3 dogs and was unable to do it. Just before giving up for the night, I decided to check the old dogs against the new ones. Pulled my 0 - 1 " mic out and the new dogs were .030" bigger than the old dogs. The old dogs looked good with no marks or damage of any kind. So I loaded the old dogs and tried the gear again. To my surprise, the gear fit in place and locked up in one direction and free wheeled in the other direction.

Hooray success. If you don't have the holes punched through like I did, you should be able to just use a drill or counter sink to remove the 3 pressed dimpled areas. The formed sheet metal would then slide off allowing you to do repairs as needed. Then just replace and weld the sheet back into the the 3 dimpled areas.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but as parts become scarcer, the need for work arounds and rebuilds will become the norm. Feel free to PM me if you do have questions.
    1981 GS 1000GLX.
    1981 GS 1000G.
    1981 GS 650GLX.
    1975 TS 185.
    1972 100. Kawasaki.
    1968 100. Suzuki.
    1970 Z 50. Honda.
    1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
    1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

This for the 1981 GS1000GL, ? Thanks for posting , habsdoc. Tips like this can be a godsend to someone doing a forum search.

Comment

Sorry about about not stating the bike I was working on, but yes this is for the 1000 GL. This repair will work on all the bikes that use this type of starter clutch system.
      1981 GS 1000GLX.
      1981 GS 1000G.
      1981 GS 650GLX.
      1975 TS 185.
      1972 100. Kawasaki.
      1968 100. Suzuki.
      1970 Z 50. Honda.
      1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
      1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Working...
      X