Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Use of plugs on tires

Default Use of plugs on tires

I'm sure I will get a fair number of comments advising me not to plug a tire. I assure you I will read and take all under advisement. However having ridden on plugged tires for many many miles over the years, I am also comfortable with doing so again.

I have a rear tire on my '81 GS850G with very low mileage that caught a puncture from a steel staple when it had about 1500 miles on it. I wish to plug this puncture to get some additional use from it before springing for a new set.

Quaestion is the RED Slime plugs I got do not mention using rubber cement. In past when a mechanic plugged a tire or two for me, he used rubber cement. I see Slime sells kits with and without cement so I am wondering if it is not an extra bit of security to used the cement as well or is that cement for other types of plugs as the kits seem to come with plack plugs and the red ones only come by themselves.

OK, here I am, waiting to hear all sides of the argument.

Thanks, as always for your input.

DH
    Rides ROADKILL-1981 GS850G, very slowly these days.

Gorminrider is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

True,
    no mention of glue,
    the colour is the clue. (I'm a bad poet and I knoet

They are not obvious about the difference, but as a guess, I think those red ones are for garden tractors and atvs. Low pressure tires? I'd try them with glue.

ADD Or better, just get some black ones that are definitely for cars
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 04-07-2021 at 12:35 PM.

The best way to do it is to unmount the tire and patch the hole from the inside, you'd use the same flat type patch and rubber cement used on tubes.
    1983 Naked Goldwing Interstate GL1100

1982 GS450txz (former bike)

"The stupider it appears the more important it probably is" J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Gorminrider View Post
    True,
    no mention of glue,
    the colour is the clue. (I'm a bad poet and I knoet

They are not obvious about the difference, but as a guess, I think those red ones are for garden tractors and atvs. Low pressure tires? I'd try them with glue.

ADD Or better, just get some black ones that are definitely for cars
    There, I learned something. Haven't opened the package so I can return & get black.

Thanks Gorminrider, stay safe!!

DH

Gorminrider is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Oh, thanks! you too! But you know, I begin to wonder why ALL tire plugs aren't red so they are easy to spot on the tire...

Quote Originally Posted by LAB3 View Post
    The best way to do it is to unmount the tire and patch the hole from the inside, you'd use the same flat type patch and rubber cement used on tubes.

Funny you should mention that. I was thinking to put that inner patch in anyway. I had actually started this repair a ways back but ended up getting a new tire installed because my very conservative buddy told me it was safer. That tire has about 800-1000 miles left on it. The front has about 1200-1500 miles to go. The punctured tire really has a lot of meat left & I wanted to use it until the front was retired and then put a new pair on at the same time.

The hole I had started and put a plug in still leaked back then. (The puncture was from a staple I must have picked up from our bee hive building activities so there were really 2 small side by side punctures. I guesses I got the first and thought I picked them both up. I really want to use an inner patch but I want to use a plug to fill in the hole (a 3/16" rod is a tight fit) that remains from that first plug. I plan to try & push a plug in but push it out quick before the glue dries so the inner surface where the patch goes will be completely flat and not interfering with the patch. Then I want to cut the outside remains of the plug off. The patch will be doing all the sealing but the new plug will fill in the hole that is already there. Like a pothole repair.

I am a slug of a rider so really don't stress the tires on the road. If I was one of the speed guys, I'd never do this but as I said I am very comfortable with the patch doing 100% of the sealing and the plug is just to fill in that probably 1/8" hole.

Thanks,

DH

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

There is a brand of plug recommended by Bwringer that you can do from the outside. Not sure it’s a permanent fix though. As stated patching it from the inside would be the better way to do it...

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

I picked up a drywall screw on a trip and bought a plug kit from a local shop. They were the mushroom type, no glue used. I rode for at least another season wit it.
    When the tire was replaced, I tried to pull out the plug from the mushroom head on the inside of the tire. It wouldn't come out.

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Come to think of it, I wonder if the rubber plugs in the kit I bought back in 2014 have a shelf life similar to tires.

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

safety seal
    GSX1300R NT650 XV535