Thread: Hemingway

Default Hemingway

Yesterday and today I watched the second and third chapters of the Ken Burns film on PBS. Good stuff. Of course I'm not surprised, what with it being Burns and PBS (and Hemingway). Now I'll have to keep my eye out for the first part.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Nessism is online now Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

I caught bits and parts too and enjoyed it. He was a complex man it seems. Hemingway is my favorite author. I find his books easy to read, unlike some other "great" authors that (for my apparently weak mind) require a lot of work to slog through. I've read For Whom the Bell Tolls, Old Man and the Sea, The Sun Also Rises, and A Farwell to Arms. Only thing, many of his stories end with a bitter ending. Don't know if I can go back and read them again knowing this...

I really never enjoyed Hemingway much. I did enjoy visiting his haunts in Madrid, though. Some cool bars.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

I read Farewell to arms, and Old man and the sea. His life was filled with violence experiencing WW1 and 2, also the Spanish civil war. He was a reporter at Normandy on D day. He killed himself with a shotgun blast to the head, that is intense. I don't what would go through anyone's mind to make them decide that this is next on the things to do list. No doubt he was a talented writer, his fame shows that. I believe he had a dark cloud in his mind.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

I was in an American literature class and The short happy lif of Francis McComber was being twisted into numerous self-assuring shapes by the angry Cadre of proto woke feministas.

They really hated me when I said he was better off dead and so rid of his wife.

The essence of The old man and the sea is tucked inside of Islands in the stream. If I picked a favorite Itd be that.
    Add Steinbeck and William Faulkner to your reading list Rob.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

dpep is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

I happen to catch some of these episodes including the final one last evening. I had not planned on watching it but if I am within earshot of a tv when a Ken Burns history show is on I am powerless to escape.

Hemingway was a singular talent as a writer but left a lot to be desired as a person. He was eventually consumed by his own myth. In that he is not unique among artists through history..
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2009 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Burque73 is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

I have never read any of Hemingway's work, but hear his name from time to time since my wife is a distant relative. Coincidentally, she's quite the writer. Wonder if it's genetic. Watching some of this film I'm hoping that's all, if anything, is genetic.
    Roger

1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A

Hemingway's work was never a favorite of mine. I much prefer Fitzgerald and Steinbeck.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    Hemingway's work was never a favorite of mine. I much prefer Fitzgerald and Steinbeck.
    Steinbeck is a master. If we're talking about the greatest American writers, the list MUST include Twain.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f