Front brake pads dilemma.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake pads dilemma.

Just received two sets of pads in mail for my front brakes, and they seem slightly different. Not sure if there is a cause for concern, but aside of one set being solid and one split in the middle, the compound seems slightly different as well. Should I just go ahead and install them as pairs or mix them up? Also, it's my first brake job so any pointers are much appreciated. Cheers!

BRAKES.jpg
    1980 GS1100E

You're not off to a great start,are you? First lesson is watch those part numbers. Happens to everyone sooner or later especially on the inter-web where it's not always so plain with pictures often muddled.

But I'd send a pair back and get a match. Sure, you can screw about, mixnmatch and live to tell the tale, quite likely. But for the sake of postage? Even CanadaPost postage? meh.

Comment

Guess I should return them, which prompts another question - which set would be the preferred one, if it matters - the split one?
      1980 GS1100E

Comment

No sense in messing with it, swap 'em for the proper ones. The part number stickers in the upper left corner of the package should be compared to see if they're different, the right one is covered so you can't read it.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Are you sure they aren't just flipped in the package? They have the same part numbers on the backs so maybe?
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Not flipped in the package for certain, they're both FA65V but the end numbers are different VPad GG-40 17QA and VPad GG-51 19QA. I ordered these and starter brushes way over a month ago and then they were lost by the postal service. These are the replacements I got after approved refund, so that's the good part. Now, just to get the right ones
            1980 GS1100E

Comment

but aside of one set being solid and one split in the middle, the compound seems slightly different as well
              Yes I would too. It's that " different compound" that would particularly propel me to replacement.

Comment

Yeah, they're going back to Fortnine for sure. I sure hope the starter brushes are a good fit at least.
                1980 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by radek22 View Post
                  Yeah, they're going back to Fortnine for sure. I sure hope the starter brushes are a good fit at least.
                  They're really good at returns. Last time I had to return something it was an ordering issue on my end and they sent me a return waybill by email and billed my visa for return shipping which was a small fraction of what I would have had to pay as well as no restocking fee even though it was my fault. I'd phone them to check their stock and see if they can match up either pair with a match. I'd probably go with the slotted pair as it might give you better rain performance but is probably a moot point with your slotted rotors. Solid rotors you would need all the help you can get. LOL.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I'd guess maybe the 19QA has wear indicator & 17QA does not. I think I'd contact EBC before returning them, it could save a lot of time & effort
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I'd slap them on, go ride, and waste no further time, energy, or precious riding days thinking about this.

Yes, they're apparently from different manufacturing batches. No, it doesn't really matter. They're EBC FA65V pads.

Excellent choice, by the way. These EBC red V pads are fantastic on our olde motorbikes. A goodly bit grippier than the common black "organic" pads but not grabby, well-behaved in the rain, and they don't seem to destroy vintage rotors like sintered pads.
                      Last edited by bwringer; 04-11-2021, 05:10 PM.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks for chiming in guys, guess I'll just email EBC just to be certain. Cheers, have a safe riding season!
                        1980 GS1100E

Comment

Do you think EBC will know? They are just wholesalers. I mean, sometimes the guys at the parts-counter have useful opinions, sometimes not.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            Do you think EBC will know? They are just wholesalers. I mean, sometimes the guys at the parts-counter have useful opinions, sometimes not.
                            It's worth a shot, I'll email fortnine as well, ask if they could find me a matching set. I think I would be abit more comfortable with matching pads to be honest.
                            1980 GS1100E

Comment

So Fortnine, the retailer, has ordered a new set from their supplier. They confirmed that one set is older than the other, and aren't sure if they should be used together. About two weeks time for it all, not too bad for a peace of mind
                              1980 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                              X