'78 GS750 fork oil level/air gap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 GS750 fork oil level/air gap

As part of the recommissioning check list I wanted to change the fork oil. I appreciate that I might need/benefit from new springs too at some point but until I get some miles on her I'm not able to tell. I've found the capacity spec (180cc) in the workshop manual link Nessism kindly posted for me which I assume would be the amount needed if the forks have been completely stripped & dry which mine won't be as yet. Would anyone be able to advise on the oil level/air gap with springs in (or out) for this model please, many thanks.
    1978 GS750C

Originally posted by Mary Hinge View Post
    As part of the recommissioning check list I wanted to change the fork oil. I appreciate that I might need/benefit from new springs too at some point but until I get some miles on her I'm not able to tell. I've found the capacity spec (180cc) in the workshop manual link Nessism kindly posted for me which I assume would be the amount needed if the forks have been completely stripped & dry which mine won't be as yet. Would anyone be able to advise on the oil level/air gap with springs in (or out) for this model please, many thanks.
    If there's a spacer set the air gap to 120mm. If it's all spring, set it to 140mm. That's measured with the spring and spacer (if any) removed and forks fully compressed.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Thanks Rich, much appreciated.
      1978 GS750C

Comment

Honestly, don't worry about the air and instead get some Sonic Springs straight-rate springs and 10w oil. The air that is naturally in the tubes is all you'll need.
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
        X