Gs 550 fuel questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 550 fuel questions

Hi everyone. This is my first post ever in this forum but I’ve been visiting it a lot for answers. I own a rebuilt gs 550 EZ from 1982.
    i have a few questions about fuel. The bike runs fantastic. But it’s a bit thirsty I think. The air element in the air box has been removed and it has bigger main jets. 110. It is also fitted with a 4 into one exhaust from motad.

as I said it runs fantastic. Starts like it came from the factory yesterday and it’s a dream to ride.
    can I expect this bike to be high on fuel consumption?

the bike also drips from the hose that is coming from the fuel sender unit under the tank. But only when I have a full tank. It stops when I get down to the reserve tank.

thank you!
    Last edited by Joakim; 04-11-2021, 03:36 AM.

Welcome to the site. You’re going to want to create a signature to include your bike info. It’s in settings. Much appreciated.

With no filter, you could be sending debris into your carbs, but people run velocity stack so..... anyway, lots more air burns lots more fuel. Your mileage will suffer.

On the sending uni, there is a rubber (viton?) gasket that is supposed to keep that from leaking. The don’t last forever. It’s an easy repair, the sending unit comes out with a series of twists and turns. I have a video of it if you need it. The part can be had from your local dealer or wherever you like to buy OEM Suzuki parts. In fact looking at my video, there’s 2 rubber bits that should be replaced. Likely the full round one around the hole causing your leak.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-11-2021, 02:18 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Last time I checked -- it's been a while -- I was getting over 50 MPG on mine. Your leak is addressed above, so I suspect that the other modifications are the cause of any lower MPG. Others here will have some good suggestions. What is your best guess as to your current MPG?
      sigpic
      '77 GS550B
      '78 GS550C

Comment

I’m guessing around 20 mpg.
        it doesn’t leak that much really. Small drips with a few seconds apart.

Comment

That's a lot as it shouldn't leak at all. I would suggest ensuring the dowty seals (washers with rubber inside to seal it off) are still on the screws that attach the petcock to the tank, the o-ring is good between the petcock and tank, and maybe replace the fuel line. You also don't say which hose it's dripping from so make sure the vacuum one is dry.

Also, this type of question should technically be in the Technical forums (carb/fuel/exhaust) where you'll likely get more folks looking at it.
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thankyou guys! I’ll report back. But it still seems like a lot of fuel consumption. And it’s running so good. But I’ll try to throw an air filter in there and see if anything happens

Comment

If you’re dripping gas, at all, I’d fix that before worrying about mileage.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
              X