New owner of the old man’s 1981 GS850 GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner of the old man’s 1981 GS850 GL

My father passed down his 1981 GS850 GL after having it sit in the garage for 15 years. Recently he came out to visit and we cleaned the carbs, rebuilt the brakes, air filter, etc. A lot was done with the info provided on this site and BikeCliff’s site.
    Spent the past two weeks putting about 40+ hours in with the old man getting her road ready again. He took the first ride and said it made him feel 30 again. Seems to be running great, joined the site to continue learning more about these bikes and getting ideas for small mod improvements. Grateful to have found a site with so much info and members willing to help.

Hi Wendell and Welcome
    I second your comments.
    A lot of experienced heads have put a lot of time into documenting their experiences.
    Top site.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Congratulations Wendell. Welcome to the site. One of the first mods that i would highly recommend is to swap out the shunt regulator for the SH775 series regulator. Your electrics will be much happier for it. There is a lot of info on this site on these and a lot of bogus SH775s out there. Bought mine from Ricks, complete with instructions, easy to install.

Comment

Welcome Wendell, Sounds like ya'll did great. Glad to hear the old GS is still providing smiles. Good luck to you, dad, & the old GS.... Oh yeah, some folks around here may not believe you have a GS unless they see pictures...
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yep, pics or it didn’t happen
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Welcome to the site Wendell.
            Good story about your dad's bike and you guys working on it together.

Now we need to see some pictures.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome to the nuthouse...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Wendell View Post
                My father passed down his 1981 GS850 GL after having it sit in the garage for 15 years. Recently he came out to visit and we cleaned the carbs, rebuilt the brakes, air filter, etc. A lot was done with the info provided on this site and BikeCliff’s site.
                Spent the past two weeks putting about 40+ hours in with the old man getting her road ready again. He took the first ride and said it made him feel 30 again. Seems to be running great, joined the site to continue learning more about these bikes and getting ideas for small mod improvements. Grateful to have found a site with so much info and members willing to help.
                Welcome, Wendell.

I did not see tires mentioned in your list.

If not done already, please get new tires installed. It is critically important.

They may have been on the bike even longer than 15 years so while they might still look good the rubber will have aged / hardened to the point that they will not be able to provide necessary traction.
                "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                X