Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kia Soul Vs 18 wheeler

Burque73 is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Default Kia Soul Vs 18 wheeler

My wife and daughter were heading to Albuquerque from Vegas over the weekend and just outside of Kingman, AZ our Kia got hit by a truck. My wife is fine physically, but pretty rattled and may have some ptsd from this. My daughter was in her car just in front of ours so she wittnessed this happen in her mirror. The two of them happened to be talking over the cars' hands free phone systems.

They were just East of Kingman heading toward Albuquerque and a truck changed lanes without looking. My daughter had just passed the truck, but my wife was right next to it. The truck came into her lane too quickly for her to slow down enough to avoid it. She couldn't vere onto the median since it was full of brush and very uneven. She hit the brakes and caught the tail end of the trailer. The bumper thing on the trailer, or ICC bar, punched through the passenger door and as she slowed down, it ripped the front of the car apart leaving a trail of Kia parts along the road. There is a deep gash at almost windshield height showing how easily the car could have gone under the trailer.

This happened at about 2pm our time. I was working around the house when my wife called and told me what was happening. She had just stopped and called the police, but not gotten out of the car yet. My daughter had to flag down the truck driver since he had no intentions of stopping. He was oblivious to what just happened and was arguing with her that he had nothing to do with this wreck. There was about 1/4 mile between them with my wife off to the left shoulderand daughter, with the truck driver on the right so they had to call each other and this trucker was getting really hard for them to deal with. Once the police office got there, about 20 minutes later, he handled the truck driver and blocked traffic so my wife could drive over to where the other vehicles were. The officer took pictures of the scene and gave the truck driver a citation. He was being very difficult even to the police, arguing and denying any involvement, in spite of having damage to his vehicle.

Our car could be driven a short distance but would never make it back to Albuquerque in it's condition so we called a wrecker. They drove back to Albuquerque in in my daughter's car while I headed to Kingman with a tow dolly behind the truck to retrieve the car. They got home around 2:30 am and I got to Kingman around 3:30am. I slept in the truck for a little while until first light, then went to the wrecking yard for the car.

Now we loook for an attourney. I'm sure that trucker will fight this so we'd better be prepared.

You can see the square hole in the door from the ICC bar.

20210411_071012 by Roger, on Flickr

Front view.

20210411_070955 by Roger, on Flickr

I went through there yesterday and walked down the freeway picking up Kia parts. Our headlight, mirror, windshield washer fluid jug, and various other parts.
    Roger

1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A

Redman is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Wow, Roger !

glad no injury’s.

good that she didn’t get run over or ran off the road.
    and that your daughter managed to stop the trucker.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.

Wow, sure glad everyone is basically okay. It could have been much worse! Them truckers are the worst! Sure there are a few professionals out there, but 90% of them are trash!😡 (in my opinion)
    My Motorcycles:
    21 Triumph Tiger 900 GT (coming to a town near you)
    16 Yamaha FJR1300 (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    82 750e (parts Bike)
    80 KZ650f (needs restored)

Truckers-even the ones working for legit companies like Swift, which monitor them-are always under pressure to make deadlines. They may have mandatory down time and drug testing, but even so, they often work under the effects of sleep deprivation, substances, and outright boredom due to monotony.

I'm glad everyone was okay. I hope you find that attorney; I suspect you will.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Wow, count your blessings, could have been so much worse, glad she's OK, physically. Hope the emotional affects fade w/ time. Be careful out there friends.

argonsagas is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Looks like she was lucky indeed, and slowing down was a very good choice.

As to proof of fault, the hole in the door is pretty good indication of how the event occurred, as the car could not do that on its own.

Your insurance company will no doubt want to get involved, even though your wife suffered no physical injury.
    I have no idea how PTSD plays out in your case as there is no comparison with what happens up here.

Maybe next time she could avoid plain, dull, grey and get a car in screaming iridescent orange so every trucker will see it?
    Last edited by argonsagas; 04-12-2021 at 04:12 PM.
    "The only thing worse than ignorance is arrogance." AE

That car looks white to me.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Quote Originally Posted by Burque73 View Post
    ...Now we loook for an attourney. I'm sure that trucker will fight this so we'd better be prepared...
    Ron Bell for the win!!! (Albuquerque insider joke, for those not from there.)

Just kidding, of course. Really glad your wife is ok. Daughter did awesome getting a hold of the trucker, that's great presence of mind in the moment.
    Rich Desmond
    1980 GS1000S
    2007 V-Strom 650
    2008 Ducati 848
    2002 DR-Z400S
    1999 SV650 (race bike)

argonsagas is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    That car looks white to me.
    Could be lighting. The larger side image looks pale grey, but the front view does appear lighter.

Having a long history of collisions I recommend anything that gets you seen better.

that said, my Bandit is all black.......
    "The only thing worse than ignorance is arrogance." AE

Geez Roger, this just plain sux. Good to hear that wife and daughter came through OK. By all means get a good lawyer and go after that SOB truck driver.
    This could have been so much different as to the outcome. Count your blessings.

I remember years ago when truckers were somewhat professional, but today a lot of them just look like overweight slobs.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.