Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kia Soul Vs 18 wheeler

Burque73 is online now Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by GSXR7ED View Post
    Ugh!

Insurance companies can sometimes be that way.

Did the car have any additional aftermarket add-ons?

Reason I ask, my Honda Pilot was a total loss in Oct 2019 and I had added fog lights, trailer hitch, luggage rack, cross bars, and running boards to the EX model which was the top of the line for 2003. Although I had over 200K miles on it, they gave me just under $5K.

I know it doesn't make any changes to your situation but wanted to share my story about the "total loss" scenario.

I hope your wife & daughter are not suffering from flashbacks and try not to think about the accident. And I'm sure you are giving them bigger hugs every so often.

Ed

No, the only thing I added was a spare tire and jack This is the only car I've owned that didn't come with a spare. It had a silly flat repair kit that if we ran over anything larger than a thumb tack, would have been worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli69 View Post
    Glad your family is ok.

I'm very curious about how the gap insurance works out. Mrs. Eli has that on her car. One thing I remember from reading the fine print was that she'd have to get the replacement vehicle from the same place she bought the first car.
    Thanks. That driver caused more emotional harm than physical. The only apparent injury, if you can call it that, is my 8 month old granddaughter got a nasty diaper rash sitting in her car seat for an extra two hours.

I just looked through the gap contract and three pages seem to be mssing. I'll bet said fine print is on those.
    Last edited by Burque73; 04-19-2021 at 08:50 AM.
    Roger

1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A

Burque73 is online now Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

My haggling with the insurance company paid off. We got another $3K for the Kia. That lets us nearly pay off the loan even after the deductable, leaving only a couple hundred bucks. The gap policy will cover the rest.

I found out the gap contract has nothing to do with the dealership we purchased the car at. It's a rather lengthy and may take up to 10 weeks for them to send any funds though. At least it's only $230.

Today we'll go car shopping and have our eyes on a 2015 Mazda CX-5 with 71K miles. It's a Grand Touring model and has all the bells and whistles. We should be able to get it for three grand below book value which means GAP won't be necessary on this one.

Roger

1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A

Quote Originally Posted by Burque73 View Post
    My haggling with the insurance company paid off. We got another $3K for the Kia. That lets us nearly pay off the loan even after the deductable, leaving only a couple hundred bucks. The gap policy will cover the rest.

I found out the gap contract has nothing to do with the dealership we purchased the car at. It's a rather lengthy and may take up to 10 weeks for them to send any funds though. At least it's only $230.

Today we'll go car shopping and have our eyes on a 2015 Mazda CX-5 with 71K miles. It's a Grand Touring model and has all the bells and whistles. We should be able to get it for three grand below book value which means GAP won't be necessary on this one.

Sounds good, Roger.

Yeah, the dealership I bought my 2010 CX-9 needed the total dollar value loss from the insurance company. I forgot why they needed it but I was able to pay $10K (for the Mazda) with the $4500 I got for total loss from insurance and the rest I made up with my own cash.

I missed the Honda Pilot (total loss) for a little while...but time heals (apparently). Now, I'm looking to buy a 2021 Tacoma here soon.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

The fact that you infer my non-acceptance is what I'm talking about. (31Jan2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Wow, glad everyone was okay. All I can say is cameras people cameras, front and back. We are going to install a pair in my wife's car. We do alot of back and forth to Wichita, KS and a big chunk of the way is on two lane highways. Trucks tend to get a little pushy when off the interstates. For now, I hang my .45 off the back seat
    MrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.