dyna coil testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dyna coil testing

I replaced my coils years ago (7+) with 3.0 dyna coils. went out for a ride last week and sounded like i dropped a cylinder, plug fowl I thought. I knew the ignition wires needed replacing so I got a set. I went through the connections at the coils, checking for any loose or damages wire, cleaned up contacts etc. I then went to test the coils, turn over look for spark, had an issue on the 1-4 bank. swapped wire still no spark. Pulled coil off and proceeded to ohm it out 3.5 on primaries, 13 on secondary. per dyna, I should see 13.5-14.5 on the secondary. Of the 2 secondary outputs, the rear one is exhibiting this problem. Would this small drop cause a failure? No open or shorts detected.
    Last edited by mvalenti; 04-14-2021, 06:21 PM.
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

That sounds ok.....if you are still using the original Suzuki ignitor setup, I’d suspect that.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      That sounds ok.....if you are still using the original Suzuki ignitor setup, I’d suspect that.
      Thank you for the response. I upgraded the ignition system with a dynatek. The odd thing is that only 1 of the 2 secondary's work. My understanding is that both should fire at the same time.
      -Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic

Comment

Update. I decided to contact (email) Dynatek to see if there were other tests I could run. They responded that its possible for the coil to appear to be in spec (Ohm) and still fail. They responded within 45 minutes, outstanding in my book! They offered to take my 7 yr old coils for inspection and replace them with new ones $100 out of my pocket.. Outstanding... Kudos to Dynatek, great product, and great customer service!
        -Mark
        Boston, MA
        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X