Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: new head gasket on GS550 results in oil dripping from front 10mm screw

Quote Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
    Am I understand correctly that you reused the original OEM gasket that came on your bike 40 years ago?
    No, I found a new old stock OEM on ebay.

So I reassembled it with the OEM head gasket and the thicker o-rings. I also applied a bit more sealer around the rectangular o-ring and a light coating of sealer on the outer edges of the mating surfaces of the head gasket. Since I didn't remove the block, I didn't disturb the base gasket so I hope that doesn't give me trouble.

Compression checks out: (130, 120, 120, 125, dry and cold) it used to be (80, 60, 85, 85) before the new sleeves

I prepped the base gasket by applying a light coat of general purpose grease on both sides everywhere, and some sealer on both sides of the corner portions which contain the oil galleys - I've never had a leak with this prep and the old gasket comes off without the usual ball-busting).

So I still went ahead and ordered a NOS OEM head/base gasket in case the reuse attempt fails. I ran the bike briefly and no leaks yet. Next I'll sync the carbs again and do some road testing.

My plans for this bike are to transport it to Florida and keep it at my parents house for use when I am down there. I've had this bike for 16 years and put over 50k miles on it. Most likely it will go into the estate sale.
    Last edited by DimitriT; 04-19-2021 at 09:18 AM.

So far so good as far as leaks go. It's not insured/registered yet so I can't really go for a long ride but a few launches up and down a country road feel really strong. Much stronger than with the old sleeves.