Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes you have to be blunt

marvinsc is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Default Sometimes you have to be blunt

We have a large powder coat paint operation at work which is equipped with all manner of safety devices, fire and explosion suppression. Part of that system is a 40 hp electric motor running a large fan to draw dust and fumes through a filtration system. At 3:15 am this morning this system had a catastrophic failure, the shaft between the motor and fan broke causing the motor to melt down and the fan to twist in it's housing. The racket was so loud, some thought a Helicopter had crashed on the roof, lots of smoke and dust. The entire emergency Brigade responded and once it was determined there was not a fire the investigation began. They said when the cover was removed the heat coming off the motor was so intense they couldn't touch it even with gloves on. Needless to say Management was asking plenty of questions in the radio, many not relevant. Finally an old time Maintenance Tech. grabbed a radio and said "This Sumbich is down for at least a couple of days!" The questions ceased.
    2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

cowboyup3371 is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Best way of getting the point across

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

A 40 hp motor is a beast, I bet people cleared out until it stopped.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

LOL. All management want is certainty. Could have said a month.
    The old machine plant here decided to do something about the air quality on the spray paint shed.
    A 50hp fan from the main furnace was retasked and grafted on to the side of the rickety paint shop at ground level.
    They weren't fools and knew the fan had the capacity to implode the shed so it was run with the doors all open.
    On the first test after briefly dimming the lights in the whole street the fan blew out a plume of paint 'smoke' which headed down the side of the shed and straight back in the main door.
    The testers being inside were unaware of this fact and declared the system a success
    80 GS850GT
    79 Z400B

Redman is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by marvinsc View Post
    . . . . . The questions ceased.
    Ha!
    The maintenance tech knew what the managers really wanted to know, and maybe also conveyed his annoyance with thier questions/interruptions.

I like your plant maintenance-operation stories.

Next part of the story might be management trying to determine if was a mechanical maintenance problem or an electrical maintenance problem.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.

Past Site Supporter

The motor can be purchased, the rest of the system was a custom one-off. A tool shop in Mayfield Kentucky thinks they may be able to fabricate a replacement unit before the end of the weekend. Bet that bill will be substantial.

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Quote Originally Posted by marvinsc View Post
    The motor can be purchased, the rest of the system was a custom one-off. A tool shop in Mayfield Kentucky thinks they may be able to fabricate a replacement unit before the end of the weekend. Bet that bill will be substantial.
    More substantial than the shaft ?
    80 GS850GT
    79 Z400B

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    Ha

Next part of the story might be management trying to determine if was a mechanical maintenance problem or an electrical maintenance problem.
    Absolutely. Gotta understand what happened and put measures in place to avoid recurrence.

Past Site Supporter

We got an update at morning start up, a new motor is being delivered via Hot Shot today. The Machine shop is fabricating a new shaft and will attempt to balance the impeller with the plan to get the paint line going by Monday while an Engineer looks into getting a replacement system procured. If this equipment was part of the original install it ran almost 20 years six days a week 20 hours a day before failing. I think it just reached the end if it's life span in a spectacular way.....

Where I've been Riding

I walked into this place early one morning to find all machines at the bottleneck stopped. I was like the heart had stopped beating.
    As I was trying to figure out where to start the CEO appeared on his morning rounds with a piece of orange peel in his hand.
    See, this is what I mean, he said. Found it behind the door in the toilets. This is not acceptable. Then he left.
    To this day I'm quite sure he was entirely unaware that the entire shop was at standstill.
    80 GS850GT
    79 Z400B