Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes you have to be blunt

Sounds like it ran for a good long time. Most places we service don't seem to want to deal with the idea that equipment has an end time and generally only replace it after catastrophic failure or a long run of repeated downtime and repairs.

The main exception is data centers ("the cloud"). They have ridiculous redundancy.

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

My experience (I'm a retired machinist) was something like: a customer brings in a part, and says "I need one of these, only not worn out and not broken." Our answer: "You can have it Fast, Cheap, or Right: pick 2." It never ceased to amaze me how many people wanted all 3, and couldn't understand why they couldn't have it.
    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
    1981 GS1100E

marvinsc is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

A side story to this event: I am on the two to three year retirement countdown so any time and money the Company spends on Education or training for me will have a limited return. They have brought is a guy in his 40's to groom for the job when I ride into the Sunset. He has has some intensive training in creating Excel spread sheets and charts which look pretty but don't actually make the Stockroom run better. They are also letting him take on some of the "other tasks required" part of the job and he has been very willing.. Today about lunch time he was sent on a run to pick up some electrical components that will be needed when the motor/impeller is re installed. He returned as I was getting ready to leave exasperated and grumbling "I guess the whole company's future rests on my shoulders, I didn't ask for all this $$%^& responsibility". As I walked out I was thinking "actually you did Grasshopper"!
    2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Quote Originally Posted by marvinsc View Post
    ...I think it just reached the end if it's life span in a spectacular way.....
    Just hoping I can do the same.
    Rich Desmond
    1980 GS1000S
    2007 V-Strom 650
    2008 Ducati 848
    2002 DR-Z400S
    1999 SV650 (race bike)

gustovh is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

I worked for Boeing for 25 years as a machinist, with my last 10 in a work sell, the first of it’s kind. There was a family of parts for the 767 that had a bad quality record, and they brought 6 of us together to fix it. After 3 months, scrapping all the old tooling and bringing in 2, 5 axis cnc mills we were ready to try out the “brand new” programs.
    Now you have to realize that it takes a couple weeks to calibrate and set up one of these mills. Anyway a new program was loaded into the machine, checked, a part loaded. Now that is a misnomer, the part at this time was nothing more than a piece of heat treatable steel 20” long, 14” wide and 4” thick clamped in dovetail clamps. The first operation is a probe that comes out in the spindle and locates the part. The next operation is a 3” inserted drill that drills a hole through the thickness of the part.

What happened was, a 3” jogger was selected out of the tool chain and driven into the block of steel at 200” a min. With no hole being drilled. The crash that it made shut down the entire building it was so loud. After another 2 weeks we were ready to try again. An investigation was held and the programmer had to be at the machine for any new programs or changes. After that the only things that got crashed were the $2,500 probes.

Yes I was running the machine.

V
    Last edited by gustovh; 04-16-2021 at 10:04 PM.
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Quote Originally Posted by marvinsc View Post
    A side story to this event: I am on the two to three year retirement countdown so any time and money the Company spends on Education or training for me will have a limited return. They have brought is a guy in his 40's to groom for the job when I ride into the Sunset.

"I guess the whole company's future rests on my shoulders, I didn't ask for all this $$%^& responsibility". As I walked out I was thinking "actually you did Grasshopper"!
    There seems to be a pervading attitude these days that "Nice people shouldn't be expected to do that" (Accepting responsibility) You pass that off to your underlings!
    1983 Naked Goldwing Interstate GL1100 (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

Not ALL conspiracy theories are false. If it's on the radio, TV AND the internet (with pictures) then it's true. If it shows up in print, it always will be. www.birdsarentreal.com

Past Site Supporter

Way off base Lab, He came in wanting to be a star and I Graciously am letting him.

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Me to the engineer after listening to a long winded explanation of why what was busted wasn't his fault ..... " Chief.... Could we change this conversation a tad to " Yup I can fix it " or " Call the office, we need to be towed in " ......
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

There have been several times at various points in my career when I'm very busily fixing something that just broke, and keep getting interrupted and delayed by manglement types demanding status updates and a firm ETA.

I've learned to bark at them, ignore them, fix the damn issue, then go grab some Desitin and attempt to soothe the recipients of the butthurt I was forced to dispense.

If it's possible, I'll recruit a go-between to run interference. And I've been privileged to work under a few people who had the brains to ask "what do you need?" instead of "when will it be fixed?"

And of course, there are plenty of idiots who ask "how can we make sure this isn't going to happen again?" Oh, I dunno, maybe... pay for the redundancy, monitoring, and maintenance that you've refused to pay for the last ten times you asked the same dumb question?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

Past Site Supporter

And you have nailed it Brian! LOL

Where I've been Riding