Vacuum fuel tap petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum fuel tap petcock

How do folks. I had an issue with an engine full of fuel. The usual vacuum tap headache on my 1980 gs850g. So I wanted to try find a manual one with 44mm bolt spacing. A Yamaha xs1100 tap has 46mm spacing, so I thought for £18 it was worth a gamble. I looked on the web and found an aftermarket tap with various outlets and fittings. Using the straight one pointing forward with an old tap outlet soldered to the brass fitting, it is a little small for my fuel pipe. I slotted one hole carefully to fit my tank. Mounting it with slightly longer bolts and washers with rubber on one side to seal. I have done a few miles now at various speeds and no sign of fuel starvation, the tap has on-reserve-off positions. I had to file the back of the lever a little to clear the tank in reserve position. I hope this is of help to other folks.
    20210412_163801 by Dennis Harland, on Flickr

20210412_163106 by Dennis Harland, on Flickr
    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Very handy to know of another one that fits.
    Cheers.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Not sure about where you are but a good quality replacement isn't too hard to find, finding one that won't cost you a months worth of drinking money IS.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks Dennis.
        How long did it take to modify to fit ?

Comment

How long did it take to modify to fit ?
          About an hour tops. I have a spare tank from a gs550 so used that as a mule. Then straight fit to my 850.
          My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Has anyone here bought and used one of the OEM style replacement petcocks from http://www.georgefixs.com/ ? I’ve read good things, can’t remember where.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              Has anyone here bought and used one of the OEM style replacement petcocks from http://www.georgefixs.com/ ? I’ve read good things, can’t remember where.

That certainly looks like the original OEM Suzuki,from the top view.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                I didn't buy one from there but I bought one of the OEM looking ones at newmotorcycleparts.net. I haven't used it yet but it looks and feels good. The one I was sent was made in Japan by Tourmax (www.tourmax.jp).

Comment

Working...
                X