Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: How near are we to the end of ICE motorcycles?

Quote Originally Posted by wyly View Post
    Many of us maybe even most of us have more than one bike a dedicated urban commuter like the SE model would be perfect for me. The only issue would be the price, there are many much less expensive new and used ICE options still available.

I suppose as the ICE's disappear through natural attrition and legislation the ev option becomes more attractive. Prices will eventually come down with improved technology and as more manufacturers bring out their ev products.
    Very true .... The current price of new technology isn't indicative of the future mainstream price . I remember years ago getting an invitation to a wine and cheese event at a stereo store I patronize. It was showcasing the new plasma TV's and they were selling somewhere in the $25,000 range ......
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Quote Originally Posted by bccap View Post
    Very true .... The current price of new technology isn't indicative of the future mainstream price . I remember years ago getting an invitation to a wine and cheese event at a stereo store I patronize. It was showcasing the new plasma TV's and they were selling somewhere in the $25,000 range ......
    yup I recall that, I waited until the prices came down and bought one for $3,600. When that died 4 years later I replaced it with a bigger better flat screen for $900. And now tvs are even better for the same price.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

An EV with a gear box, enough range for an urban commuter at a sensible price, theoretically 4-5 hrs ride time at 45mph it would work for me.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/emgo-la...eid=7c3f3056ea

An EV with a gear box, enough range for an urban commuter at a sensible price, theoretically 4-5 hrs ride time at 45mph it would work for me.

Holy crap! YES! I even love the look of that bike!
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

I recall that attitude with cell phones but we're all using them now "I already have phone(land line) I don't need it". The only holdouts I run into now are those who refuse to make the next switch to smart phones. My two older brothers 79 and 77yrs both won't give up their flip phones, they claim they don't need anything better but I know my bros well enough to know they're scared of new technology they don't understand.
    LOL, yep. The thing is, "pocket computers" or something similar have been part of science fiction for a hundred years, probably more. Now that we actually have the things, I'm always surprised to run across people who don't seem to understand them.

I think the one surprise is that pretty much no science fiction author predicted we would call them "phones", and that that's how they would end up in absolutely every pocket. I'm happy to be corrected, of course. Now we've come full circle, and no one under 30 seems to know that you can use the things to talk to people using mouth words.

Quote Originally Posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    Holy crap! YES! I even love the look of that bike!
    Yep, that's looking more like it if they can actually get them into the US anywhere near that price target.

As I've mentioned before, I have no doubt I'll end up with an electric motorcycle at some point. I live in a large city, and my commute and general errand running are ideal for an EV. I like the knobbies, but I bet street tires would have less rolling resistance and more range.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

Quote Originally Posted by bwringer View Post

Yep, that's looking more like it if they can actually get them into the US anywhere near that price target.

As I've mentioned before, I have no doubt I'll end up with an electric motorcycle at some point. I live in a large city, and my commute and general errand running are ideal for an EV. I like the knobbies, but I bet street tires would have less rolling resistance and more range.
    It's listed at $6000 the review didn't mention if that's the conversion in the Ukraine or delivered to N America.
    I live in a large city as well even 1-2 hrs riding doesn't get me very far quickly unless I take the freeways, I'd be lucky to cover 70 miles so this EV is well within my requirements.
    Smooth road tires would get better range but I'm not sure it matters much for an urban commuter. I'd be okay with the added versatility of knobbies my first 5 yrs of riding was always on knobbies.

I'd definitely want it with knobbies and good suspension-for weekend romps on fire roads and Jeep trails, then work commuting several other days a week.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

With current fuel prices reaching $1.45 per litre it now costs $200 to fill my pickup, that's just not sustainable so it sits in my driveway unused. My GS and CBX with their 20 litre tanks a $29 fill up have become a luxury to take for a ride as well. EVs that I can charge in my garage are now very attractive and economical, if Covid hadn't taken my job there would be an EV in garage right now.

For those wanting to keep their vintage two and four wheel toys there is still a viable option, net zero fuel. Production of synthetic fuels although they use carbon they don't add to the GHG emission total, small scale production has begun for the commercial aviation industry but it's expensive. Expect a considerable price increase for airfares in the coming decades until EV technology makes medium to long range flights practical.