Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: How near are we to the end of ICE motorcycles?

Quote Originally Posted by wyly View Post
    I came across this concept eRockit, not sure how to define it, electric/human hybrid? It may be the a great urban commuter bike definitely looks like a motorcycle. Top speed 90kph/55mph, 120km range.

https://www.erockit.de/en/about/#Speed
    Its cool factor may not be high, but it would make a good urban commuter.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Quote Originally Posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    Its cool factor may not be high, but it would make a good urban commuter.
    If my pre-covid job returns it would be perfect for me. There is a high security bike parking parking directly outside my work area (theft rate is zero) motorcycle parking area is a 1/2km away. I could coast half of the 70kph road downhill 22km's to work, Ev power would be a lifesaver for the killer 400m uphill return home.
    Last edited by wyly; 05-16-2021 at 01:32 PM.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Definitely. I live way (28 miles) outside the area in which I work, but my way in to work is all highway, so it wouldn't work for me.
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Ford is quite definitive EV is the future with the release of their F150 Lightning in 2021-22 along with Tesla and GM pickups. I think the Japanese big four will lead the way in motorcycles with range/charge time being the obstacle to overcome, how to pack more juice in a small battery.

I'm considering selling my ICE pickup while there's still a market for giant gas guzzlers.

$1.45 per litre for my bike the other day. Converts to $6.52 per imperial gallon, $5.51 US gallon.
    I can recall in my youth .15 per imperial gallon, yeah that was so so long ago. My first car burned so much oil that I spent more on oil per week than on gas.

F150 specs. Yup I'm going to need to sell my ICE while I still can. This EVF150 is as fast as the supercharged Tundras, can almost keep up with my bikes(I'm gonna need a faster bike).

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...t-look-review/

Very impressive and competitively priced, the EV tidal wave isn't far off now.

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

F150 specs. Yup I'm going to need to sell my ICE while I still can. This EVF150 is as fast as the supercharged Tundras, can almost keep up with my bikes(I'm gonna need a faster bike).

They're going to sell an absolute skrillion of these to tradespeople, as fast as they can build them. The operating expense math makes it a no-brainer. Go 90% EV, keep a few ICE trucks around for those out of town jobs, and the boss gets to swan around in the high-end big battery version with fancy wheels, leather upholstery, and the deeeeeluxe 10-speed perineum massager.

Don't worry, I'm sure Ford will find a way to devote plenty of production to the profitably pimped consumer models.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

I'm looking forward to watching urban police vehicles change to EVs. Not sure when fire and EMT could, but in the city, I think police could lead there.
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

dpep is online now Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Normally Rachel Maddow is only linked in the Vortex forum but it turns out she is a car person and long time F150 owner and fan. Her take is that this new vehicle is of immense importance, far more than most people realize. I don't know if she is right but I found her reasoning interesting.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/...r-112389189852
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2009 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    I'm looking forward to watching urban police vehicles change to EVs. Not sure when fire and EMT could, but in the city, I think police could lead there.
    This is already happening. Just a few examples:

Bargersville, IN, just south of Indy:
    https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...ar/2606866001/

Hastings-on-Hudson, NY:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/new-...acklash-2021-1

Interesting that there were some knee-jerk reactions to the latter; apparently a lot of idiots still think Teslas are exotic super-expensive luxury cars. The Model Y and the Model 3 start at around $40K, not very far off comparable ICE vehicles. Then there's the cost to add all the cop car stuff, but that's not really different. And of course operating costs are significantly lower with the EV.

I suppose that weird, immediate fear and loathing reaction that's so common when discussing EVs is another topic, perhaps for another day and another thread. Elon Musk deserves a lot of personal credit for getting the EV ball rolling, but his stupid antics and repellent personality also have held things back significantly. A lot of people still can't untangle the concept "EV" from "Tesla" and "That weird Elon Musk idiot".

"EV" does not automatically equal "Tesla" or "weird". The mainstream manufacturers are having a lot of trouble catching up to Tesla, but they are getting there quickly, at least as far as the vehicles are concerned. However, Tesla's huge supercharger network is a significant barrier for other brands. There are surprising number of other EV charging stations around, but there are several different networks and they have a lot of issues in real-world use. Ford, GM, etc. are going to need to invest heavily in chargers.

If EVs scare you, please try to relax; scrawny vegan thugs in Birkenstock jackboots aren't going to invade your mountaintop compound and pry the keys to your ICE pickup from your cold, dead, diesel-scented hands. This is a transition driven by consumer choice.
    Last edited by bwringer; 05-21-2021 at 08:58 AM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

It is an exciting time, for sure!
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f