Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: How near are we to the end of ICE motorcycles?

Whew, read all the pages. Lord save our species.

My house couldnt charge an EV in one night, doesnt posses the power, many peoples dont. Charging on standard 110 can take dozens of hours to charge an EV with enough juice to GET to the closest city to me, within which i have never laid eyes upon one of those fast charger things, so your gonna be using an extension cord to steal power for the next 12 hours so you can go back home. And then in 4 years when the battery no longer works, we destroy the environment some more to make another battery that costs 3 times what my car costs. And can only be swapped by the dealership.

EVs are a non scientific political theater tool to manipulate people into supporting absolute nonsense ideas and sell their childrens futures so the wealthy can control us all some more.

Again, the range ISNT there. The numbers people got excited about here, all lies, proven by other people showing in tests less than half the range in the real world. The charging information posted here? Must be people living in the heart of san fransisco or something. You can NOT charge an EV fully on household power every night. My daily commute to work is the full range of EVs, meaning i would require a FULL charge EVERY night, and the charging times are just absolutely not where you guys apparently think they are. Without a supercharger station, that ive never seen in person, you can not gain meaningful charge in an hour or less, youll get like 20 miles, maybe.

Its largely ALL propaganda and lies, nonsense spread by the AOC type to make her 3 page kindergarten level bill make sense, but it doesnt, because none of it is viable or logical. Switching over to the green market destroys more jobs than it could ever create, while being worse for the environment if you bother to actually look into things and not just swallow the BS. Its about control and profit and distraction. Your EV can be shut down much easier. You can be stopped. You can be controlled. You can be tracked 24/7. Shut the power off for 2 days and everyone with an EV is stranded and contained.

Thats just my take though!

Baatfam is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Five years.....
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

That darned infernal combustion engine will never replace the horse and carriage!!!!

yup 5 years
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Quote Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
    I will not be surprised if within my lifetime demand for gasoline drops to nearly zero. I'll have to put the hard bags on my electric bike to go buy synthetic fuel for my GS850G in one gallon cans from a specialty supplier.

When I roll it out of the garage, a crowd will gather. Children won't understand what the noise is. Old men will breathe in the fumes with nostalgia.
    I'm reminded of old pics of Pratt's Motor Spirit, as they used to do it, and was quite surprised at the range of early suppliers of canned petrol for the gentry getting their jollies on the new-fangled horseless carriages.

---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Quote Originally Posted by wyly View Post
    I was thinking of future insurance electric bike write offs being cannibalized into vintage bikes but that's pretty cool.
    There's a lot of classics running around with Nissan Leaf electric guts these days.
    The cost is about a mere 30K or so.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

I've been studying the progress in EVs a lot recently, and the 5 year estimate is pretty close to when we will see a big shift toward electrics. There are several battery technologies that show promise for more rapid charging and increased energy density. Once rapid chargers become more common it will be easy to charge a motorcycle in 15-30 minutes. I looked up fast charging motorcycles on youtube and there's one on there showing a rider in Switzerland charging his Energica EGO from 20-80% in 16 minutes. Gasoline vehicles will be around longer than most people 50 & over will be riding; the question is how expensive will gas be?
    JP
    1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
    1992 Concours
    2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
    2007 FJR

No-one is saying that ICEs will disappear as EVs take over, but anyone who is saying that this century will not be defined by a massive shift to EVs and to good effect is deluding himself.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Baatfam is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    No-one is saying that ICEs will disappear as EVs take over, but anyone who is saying that this century will not be defined by a massive shift to EVs and to good effect is deluding himself.
    And unless they are something special, classic, or rare, the value of ICE powered anything, is going to plummet.
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Quote Originally Posted by Baatfam View Post
    And unless they are something special, classic, or rare, the value of ICE powered anything, is going to plummet.
    Yup, you don't want be the last guy to buy a $80K ICE F150. The used ICE market is going to offer great deals for 10-15yrs.

Ford is releasing it's F150 EV late this year or 2022, Ford says it will be their most powerful pickup yet with an expected minimum 300mile range. https://insideevs.com/reviews/377328...truck-details/

Price won't match Tesla's price $39K-69K which will be in production in 2022, with 500,000 presale reservations.

GM is releasing it's EV pickup 300mile range, in the fall of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jpaul View Post
    I've been studying the progress in EVs a lot recently, and the 5 year estimate is pretty close to when we will see a big shift toward electrics. There are several battery technologies that show promise for more rapid charging and increased energy density. Once rapid chargers become more common it will be easy to charge a motorcycle in 15-30 minutes. I looked up fast charging motorcycles on youtube and there's one on there showing a rider in Switzerland charging his Energica EGO from 20-80% in 16 minutes. Gasoline vehicles will be around longer than most people 50 & over will be riding; the question is how expensive will gas be?
    15 minute charge is acceptable, that's usually close to the time I spend fuelling up now on a day trip. When you've logged a 150 miles it's good to take a break,chat with ride mates, stretch your legs, grab something to eat.

And it will get better I've no doubt about that. Range will increase, charging times will speed up and charging stations will become more plentiful. There's billions of dollars to be made, the free market will drive the change.