Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: How near are we to the end of ICE motorcycles?

This guy seems to have a well balanced overall view of things, caught this particular one earlier this week. Eleven minutes well spent.

1983 Naked Goldwing Interstate GL1100 (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

Not ALL conspiracy theories are false. If it's on the radio, TV AND the internet (with pictures) then it's true. If it shows up in print, it always will be. www.birdsarentreal.com

No real information there, just a bunch of claims from industry. The only thing really worth noting is at the very end, where he says that the timeline for mass production of affordable solid state batteries is further out than we think. That bit I agree with.
    Rich Desmond
    1980 GS1000S
    2007 V-Strom 650
    2008 Ducati 848
    2002 DR-Z400S
    1999 SV650 (race bike)

Not a bike but, just did a 500 mile drive as a "shotgun" passenger in a Model Y Tesla from Palm Springs to Berkeley.
    We, a party of four with luggage stopped twice for charges. First was not a Super Charger station, but a 72KW station.
    Claimed ideal unrealistic full charge range was 325 miles. We did gain some regen down hills maybe 25 miles.

Think we stopped for about 25ish minutes for charge, had a burrito & were back on the road. 2nd stop was about the same except at a Super Charger station 250KW. We made it to our destination w/only 14 miles left on charge, as the driver was mostly going 84mph & the car was telling him to drop speeds below 75mph to make it to the destination w/o charging again. It was an interesting experience, since my daily driver van is 30 years old.

My 91 year old mother was in the car & when we arrived at the destination, she said she didn't like it, too much of hassle/time waiting to charge.
    20210428_141950 by Carter Turk, on Flickr
    20210428_141937 by Carter Turk, on Flickr
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Quote Originally Posted by RichDesmond View Post
    No real information there, just a bunch of claims from industry. The only thing really worth noting is at the very end, where he says that the timeline for mass production of affordable solid state batteries is further out than we think. That bit I agree with.
    Yeah the timeline and leaving the hype out of it.
    1983 Naked Goldwing Interstate GL1100 (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

Not ALL conspiracy theories are false. If it's on the radio, TV AND the internet (with pictures) then it's true. If it shows up in print, it always will be. www.birdsarentreal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carter Turk View Post
    Not a bike but, just did a 500 mile drive as a "shotgun" passenger in a Model Y Tesla from Palm Springs to Berkeley.
    We, a party of four with luggage stopped twice for charges. First was not a Super Charger station, but a 72KW station.
    Claimed ideal unrealistic full charge range was 325 miles. We did gain some regen down hills maybe 25 miles.

Think we stopped for about 25ish minutes for charge, had a burrito & were back on the road. 2nd stop was about the same except at a Super Charger station 250KW. We made it to our destination w/only 14 miles left on charge, as the driver was mostly going 84mph & the car was telling him to drop speeds below 75mph to make it to the destination w/o charging again. It was an interesting experience, since my daily driver van is 30 years old.

My 91 year old mother was in the car & when we arrived at the destination, she said she didn't like it, too much of hassle/time waiting to charge.
    20210428_141950 by Carter Turk, on Flickr
    20210428_141937 by Carter Turk, on Flickr
    Seems a pretty solid testimonial to the EV there.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Quote Originally Posted by LAB3 View Post
    This guy seems to have a well balanced overall view of things, caught this particular one earlier this week. Eleven minutes well spent.

Very informative.

Remember when there was a audio technological collision of 8-track vs cassette vs reel to reel vs vinyl they were all functional, but were all displaced by CD's which now have been mostly replaced by digital. That's what we're going to see with batteries, all the large manufacturers going their own way with what they hope will the system that takes over the world. The five year EV automotive timeline applies to battery systems and there will be many functional operating systems in five years. There's no way to know which one will win at this point, possibly none of them.

I read criticisms of battery lifespan for cars "it only lasts 10 years and costs thousands to replace". That doesn't seem to be a real issue since the average car has a lifespan of 8 years and replacing an engine or transmission can also cost many thousands to replace. Tesla is designing a battery they hope will last a million miles, with a battery lifespan like that it could power 5 cars through their lifespans.

My biggest take away from all this is that it's inevitable and only a matter of time, 5yrs seems to be the starting point where EVs begin the takeover. Invest in the common denominator, lithium.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Carter Turk View Post

I'm one to challenge the gas gauge on my car on a regular basis but dealing with running out of charge, and having to wait a significant period of time for a charge when required, is not my idea of a pleasant ownership experience.

As much as I love all the smells, sounds, quirks, and feels of my ICE motorcycles electric bikes do sound like a pretty cool deal. They already have electric bicycles that 'assist' the pedaler in their efforts... and you can apparently move purty good on them - ~40mph I think? I am considering renting one at the bike shop down the road from me for a couple hours, just to see what it's all about.
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Quote Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
    I'm one to challenge the gas gauge on my car on a regular basis but dealing with running out of charge, and having to wait a significant period of time for a charge when required, is not my idea of a pleasant ownership experience.
    It costs me about $120 to fill my ICE pickup and 5-10 of my minutes time, if there's no line up at the pumps. Charging a Tesla S at a supercharger is about $15.

Am I willing to wait for an extra 10-15 minutes at a quick charge station and save $105 for equivalent range, absolutely. Since 99.99% of my commutes will be close to home 99.00% of my charging will done overnight when I'm asleep from a home charger and even less cost it's no contest, EV wins.

Saving $95 on every fill up fits my agenda for a pleasant ownership experience.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

dpep is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Great thread.

ICE Engines are horribly inefficient compared to EVs for producing motion at least with regard to passenger vehicles. ICE will be around a little longer for large commercial and industrial needs. And we have a long way to go to achieve practical E powered airline flights. But for 99% of the normal daily driving trips we take the EV technology is already adequate. It just needs to come down in price for us to more widely embrace it. That will happen as the number of units produced scale up and the major players begin competing.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2009 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650