1982 GS750E Strange Fork Spring Lengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS750E Strange Fork Spring Lengths

I am replacing the fork seals on my '82 GS750E and decided to order Sonic springs while I have it apart anyway. In looking at my Clymer manual, it says the fork spring lengths should be 17.8" and 6.0" . The springs that were in there are 17.4" and 2.5" (not a typo!).

I realize that the bike seems to be somewhat of a Frankensteined mish-mash of parts from various years, but I have no idea how the springs could work properly being so short. When assembled, you have to compress the springs a bit to install the cap bolt so it seems to be right. I do not know how long the Sonic springs will be so hopefully they will work out.

Any thoughts on this?

Originally posted by DucatiDave View Post
    I am replacing the fork seals on my '82 GS750E and decided to order Sonic springs while I have it apart anyway. In looking at my Clymer manual, it says the fork spring lengths should be 17.8" and 6.0" . The springs that were in there are 17.4" and 2.5" (not a typo!).

I realize that the bike seems to be somewhat of a Frankensteined mish-mash of parts from various years, but I have no idea how the springs could work properly being so short. When assembled, you have to compress the springs a bit to install the cap bolt so it seems to be right. I do not know how long the Sonic springs will be so hopefully they will work out.

Any thoughts on this?
    I don't have any idea what should be in there, or where what you do have came from. The good news is, it doesn't matter.

When you get the Sonic Springs in follow these directions:

the Sonic springs will be shorter, probably 380mm. You'll cut the spacer to get the right amount of static preload.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Awesome, thanks Rich!!

Comment

Throw that crap Clymer manual in the fire starter bin and download a proper OEM manual from Basscliff's website.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Throw that crap Clymer manual in the fire starter bin and download a proper OEM manual from Basscliff's website.
          There is no OEM Manual on BikeCliff for a 1982 GS750E. The closest is for 1976 or 1983. The 1976 manual shows the same forks that I have, but no mention of spring lengths that I can find.

Comment

Isn't the 82 a 16-valve? If so, there is the other manual there on his site
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Yes, but that is for 1983 onwards. Very different from my '82.

Comment

You want the one that is 750 (16V........
                this one.

specs for the different models that vary are in their own sections in the back.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks Rich! So did you replace the two bushings on the inner and outer tubes on each side?

Comment

I have an 82 T. My specific model is not covered in that manual. I have a supplement, which think covers yours as well. Check it out. Download it if you like. It has a lot of specific things for the GS 750 E and T models of 1982 (Z) not specifically covered in the manual from BikeCliffs website that I linked above https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UqX...w?usp=drivesdk

It was very helpful when I rebuilt my forks. I replaced seals and anti friction metal rings as they are called in this supplement. I kept my stock springs. May upgrade to Sonic at some point, but did not find it necessary at this point.

If your bike has the anti-dive forks, they are covered thoroughly in this supplement as well.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Wow, thank you Rich! These are the first clear drawings I have seen of the anti-dive system and also the fork internals. I now realize that the springs are correct for the 1982 EZ model.

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Comment

It's a great supplement, and I've shared it with anybody who wants it. I had sent it to Cliff a few years ago to add to his list of downloads on his website. He said he would. Emailed Brian about it too. Just didn't happen for some reason. It's been a while, I'll reach out to Brian again.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          The 82 model is basically the same as the 80/81 models with the exception of the instrument cluster, choke mount and forks. So the repair manual would be pretty much the same.
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                            The 82 model is basically the same as the 80/81 models with the exception of the instrument cluster, choke mount and forks. So the repair manual would be pretty much the same.
                            Yes, all the things different in the 82 E & T models should be covered in the supplement in linked in post #10. I’ve given it to Brian. He said he’d add it to the list of manuals on his copy of BikeCliff’s website soon.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                            X