Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q's on 1994 Sportster...

Hey guys
    Thought I would post here since I do value your input on things such as this.
    The Sidecar has been on the market for the better part of a month as it's sitting and taking up valuable garage space. The dog still has no interest in motor powered anything so I'm officially going to move on from the sidecar project, for now.
    So side car was listed for sale or trade and have been offered some odd stuff but nothing too interesting.
    Last night a gentleman reached out and asked if I would be interested in trading a good running 1994 Sportster 1200 XL. He sent me some videos of it running well and pictures, seems to be in good shape, the only 2 issues I could pick up on was 1) it looked to be a rattle can job done poorly (I can fix that) and 2) the odometer is unreadable. It has 31K miles allegedly. Seams reasonable for a Sportster of it's vintage.
    Here is the best pic he sent me.:

Relatively clean, no rips and the paint is workable.

I obviously really have no intention of welcoming a Sportster into the heard but when I booked it these bikes go for $3600 to $5500. I checked Marketplace and Craigslist and these bikes are indeed going for those numbers.

Might make a cool flip or just something cool to just run. I know these are carbureted and that concerns me slightly as I have absolutely 0 experience with Carb'd Harleys.

Anything to look out for, any issues I should take an extra look at? Any input on the bike would be most helpful.

Thanks,
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Jedz, your picture is not showing up. All I'm seeing is DOLLAR SIGNS!
    just kidding. It looks like it's in good condition. I'm not sure what you have into your sidecar, but if you can flip this thing and make a few bucks, go for it! 👍
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
      Jedz, your picture is not showing up. All I'm seeing is DOLLAR SIGNS!
      just kidding. It looks like it's in good condition. I'm not sure what you have into your sidecar, but if you can flip this thing and make a few bucks, go for it! 
      HAHA I was like, wait that's an code error... NM Got it!
      I'm not very much $$$ into the side car. After sleeping on it I think I will end up agreeing to the trade. I would like to invest in fixing the paint and replacing the speedometer (no odometer makes it tricky to guess fuel range with no fuel gauge) and see what I can't flip it for.
      Thinking of doing an iconic twin review for my channel, Sportster 1200 vs R1100R VS Bonneville T120. Make for some good watching!
      Thanks,
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

For a sidecar that's taking up space? Jump on that like white on rice!

I won't tell you about usable torque right off idle since you ride a VMax, but it does have an interesting personality. Maybe like an old steam locomotive compared to a modern bullet train. Good vibrations!
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

So the Sporty goes for $3600-5500 up your way huh? Geez, maybe I should be buying bikes in Michigan and taking a ride to New England! The sidecar is worth money in the near future (When it sells) and the Sporty is a 27 year old bike that will need attention by sheer virtue of the fact it's 27 years old. Sell off the sidecar and spend a couple of extra weeks off this summer, you already have too many toys for a guy your age so go act your age!
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

"Anything I should look out for"??.....Yes....it's a Harley! Don't do it Jedz!!!
            No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
              "Anything I should look out for"??.....Yes....it's a Harley! Don't do it Jedz!!!
              HAHAHA Noted!
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

You sold the VMax? Say it ain't so!
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Much the same could be said about BMW. Now, regarding that Sportster. If it has good compression and shifts well, it's probably well worth flipping. Primary chain should be checked and adjusted if necessary.

If you keep it, swap out the carb for a Mikuni HSR.
                  Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 04-20-2021, 10:35 AM.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    You sold the VMax? Say it ain't so!
                    Motorcycle ADD... HAHA Nah I wanted out after my injury to my elbow, just WAY TOOO big. I made a very comfortable profit margin on it so all good. It was a good experience, the Tracer 900 isn't much slower believe it or not.

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                    Much the same could be said about BMW. Now, regarding that Sportster. If it has good compression and shifts well, it's probably well worth flipping. Primary chain should be checked and adjusted if necessary.

Awesome Mason!

I was secretly hoping you'd chime in here!

I think the bike has upgrades the current owner doesn't know about, the air breather is much larger than the stock unit and it has a full screaming eagle exhuast.

I did have the XR1200 for a short time but I think that bike was a lemon because it was a giant headache... However it was so easy to work on... Primary is easy, in fact the whole damn bike is just easy...

Definitely have an itchy trigger finger for it!...
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Boy..you really have turned into a Harley rider, haven't ya Mason...can't take a joke or laugh at yourself...lol..It's a joke, don't be so sensitive. Btw BMW stands for "Bring My Wallet"...see...funny.
                      No signature

Comment

Boy..you really have turned into a Harley rider, haven't ya Mason...can't take a joke or laugh at yourself...lol..It's a joke, don't be so sensitive. Btw BMW stands for "Bring My Wallet"...see...funny.
                        Ah, Trevor. I have become a Harley aficionado because the bike is exactly as advertised. I know that you go for stereotyping, but I really wish you would just accept that Harley is not the old AMF.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Ah, Trevor. I have become a Harley aficionado because the bike is exactly as advertised. I know that you go for stereotyping, but I really wish you would just accept that Harley is not the old AMF.
                          I will try...just for you. Btw my buddy has one of those AMF Cafe Racer xlcr ...pretty cool Harley imo.
                          I just think it's cool that we like our bikes so much.
                          Sorry for the thread hacking Jedz...please carry on.
                          No signature

Comment

Jedz, this is a good little read:
                            Because these early H-D Sportsters sold by the thousands, there are literally as many of these used XLs near wherever you are. Learn more at CycleWorld.com.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

I will try...just for you. Btw my buddy has one of those AMF Cafe Racer xlcr ...pretty cool Harley imo.
                              I just think it's cool that we like our bikes so much.
                              Sorry for the thread hacking Jedz...please carry on.
                              The Cafe Racer is a very cool Harley, but yeah, the Evo bikes are simply head and shoulders above in reliability.
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X