No announcement yet.

Q's on 1994 Sportster...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make sure you negotiate for mids from a solid mount Sportster!
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

The (Freedom) Eagle has landed.

I like this fricken' thing, I don't know why... It's just so basic and easy to work on.

It will need a new battery PO said it was new... It does look new but it had no electrolyte in the battery... Fork seals need to be replaced. I will do a new paint job as well.

I'll get a plate for it tomorrow and hopefully be able to take it for a spin. It has brand new tires, which is good!
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
        I like this fricken' thing, I don't know why... It's just so basic and easy to work on.

That is pretty much the same as I say for the HondaShadow500.

. . . . . . . does look new but it had no electrolyte in the battery... .
        Ew, Check the charging system, especially battery voltage at mid-rpms.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          That is pretty much the same as I say for the HondaShadow500.

Ew, Check the charging system, especially battery voltage at mid-rpms.
          All good 13.8-14.2V at the poles when running. It's a cheap acid battery that clearly wasn't taken care of correctly. New sealed glass matte battery will be in a couple days and it will be good to go.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I love how basic the Sportster engine and running gear is. I am happy to have an FI rubbermount model, but I've had few bikes that were easier to work on.
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
              I love how basic the Sportster engine and running gear is. I am happy to have an FI rubbermount model, but I've had few bikes that were easier to work on.
              I have ridden it and boy is the thing slow. I was trying to get it to 6K RPM and it was just falling on it's face after 5200.. Got back and checked the internet and max HP is at 5200 RPM sooo that was the issue there.

The brakes are absolute garbage as in they suck but work as intended by HD in 1995... I ordered the caliper upgrade kit that allows use of a twin pot SV650 caliper with stintered pads. Should make a difference. Also the rear solid rotor is grooved badly so I ordered a new drilled lighter one with new rear pads and a bottle of DOT 5 fluid as that's what HD used that year.

So all the brake stuff cost me about $200. Will make a big difference in stopping power but as I have no real interest to make more power I think it will be adequate (I hope).

Going to the DMV to register today, I will start riding it every now and then once the weather warms more. Still in the 20's (F) when I head into work in the mornings.

I hate to admit, I actually enjoy riding the old rat bike. There is something about it that is endearing to a time of what motorcycles use to be... Rattling, loud, slow, crazy death machines. I love it!

Best
              Last edited by Jedz123; 04-27-2021, 01:19 PM.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

... I ordered the caliper upgrade kit that allows use of a twin pot SV650 caliper with stintered pads. Should make a difference...
                LOL, if a single SV caliper, designed to be used as a pair on a bike that's 100lbs lighter is an improvement, that's reeeaaally saying something about the stock brakes.
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                  LOL, if a single SV caliper, designed to be used as a pair on a bike that's 100lbs lighter is an improvement, that's reeeaaally saying something about the stock brakes.
                  I would say it's as bad as the single stoper that was on my GS750L but that would be a lie...

Now that I think about it I think I like it because it reminds me so much of my GS750L
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

How do you like the hands high/ feet forward ergos?

Comment

Originally posted by B.C.G.S. View Post
                      How do you like the hands high/ feet forward ergos?
                      Honestly for cruising, I love it! I rode for over an hour yesterday evening and only ended the ride as it was too cold. Laid backed and relaxed, I'm not going to burn corner in this thing and you know that's ok. I have a few other bikes to do that with but the Sporty just Cruises with not a care in the world.

The more I ride it the more I like riding it...
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

They are (to me) absolutely charming machines. Simple, easy to repair, cheap and abundant parts, and reliable. Mine has better brakes, which I have upgraded with stainless lines and better pads, and I've completely upgraded the suspension on it. Mine is a lowered model, so it has less cornering clearance than I would like, but I raised the back about 3/4 of an inch via the shock upgrade. In time, I'll do Ohlins at the back and get a set of stock length fork tubes to make it sit where I want it to. I love the motor in this beast. I could care less about 150 mph bikes any more. Been there, done that far too many times. I've had this bike for two years and like it more every day. It is a perfect canvas for constant customization.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

I really need to set mine up at stock standard Sportster height. With great new tires, I'm grinding metal parts more than I want. This summer, methinks, Ohlins 13.5" shocks and stock length fork tubes up front ...
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

I see Ryan (Fortnine) is copying you, now he has a Harley and switched to club style bars. LOL

Comment

Is that red Dyna his new bike?
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Yes that's his new Harley.
                                I think as we Millennials are now crossing over the mid point of our 30's we are enjoying the relaxed and easy nature of Harley Davidsons. I love his Dyna. I also love my Sporty...
                                Today the inadequate front brakes almost put me into a bind (no pun intended) so today after work I'll be doing an install video on this:

The Front brake upgrade for any 94-99 Sportster 1200 with the horrid (yes worse than a Suzuki GS single stopper) single stopper. Hope it doesn't take too long to go over but that front brake is bad to put it lightly. I need it to function.

I'll also be doing some other videos... Oil change, Primary change, Spark plug change, how to pain your bike, etc... It will be looking mighty nice in the next few weeks. I have the rest of the "freedom Eagle" regalia landing and all the covers and mirrors will be cloaked in Eagle spirit bits. I love it...

So I've been riding the Freedom Eagle every day this week. I was thinking about swapping it out for a classic Japanese bike but this thing is just too cool for school... I love it.

Best,
                                Jedz Moto
                                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                                X