Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    Nice share!
    Yeah I think a single carb is stupid easy to clean or work on.. About as complex as my Kohler powered lawnmower. I know these EVO motors are abut as reliable as they come. Easy to work on and swapping heads, jugs and cams are as easy as it gets.
    I will likely not keep long but I will definitely put some miles on it, who knows I might want to just keep it as back-up to the Bonneville which has been plagued with odd issues in it's high mileage life(Today the Tachometer was deciding to work randomly)...
    Best,
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

The beauty of that Sportster is, no matter where you are, parts and service are available.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
        ...I know these are carbureted and that concerns me slightly as I have absolutely 0 experience with Carb'd Harleys...
        Don't sweat the carb, very simple. I recently helped a neighbor get his going, hadn't ever turned a wrench on a Harley before.
        Be a lot easier to sell that than the sidecar.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

How about a pic of the 'expensive' (exhaust) side? It's (I'm) strange - I love Sportsters, but dislike every other Harley.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
            Don't sweat the carb, very simple. I recently helped a neighbor get his going, hadn't ever turned a wrench on a Harley before.
            Be a lot easier to sell that than the sidecar.
            More I look at it the more confident I feel about it. Especially if I swap in a Mikuni off the bat.

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            The beauty of that Sportster is, no matter where you are, parts and service are available.
            Also there is more people that no way more than I do about these bikes. There is probably only a handful of guys proficient in knowing the Details of the WC Bonneville T120 and I'm likely one of those digits.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            How about a pic of the 'expensive' (exhaust) side? It's (I'm) strange - I love Sportsters, but dislike every other Harley.
            So Looks like the mufflers are the only aftermarket thing... Hmm He said it has screaming eagle stuff. Looks like a forward control kit was installed. I agree I really like the look of these Sportsters more I look at it.

Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Looks like an aftermarket seat (gotta be better than stock) and for-sure those are aftermarket handlebars! (please no ape-hangers!)

Still, overall a nice old sportster! But you have to factor in the added cost of do-rags and the wallet on a chain! LOL
              Ron
              When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
              1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
              1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
              1982 GS1100E
              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Two years and 15,000 miles later, I love mine more than when I bought it.
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
                  Looks like an aftermarket seat (gotta be better than stock) and for-sure those are aftermarket handlebars! (please no ape-hangers!)

Still, overall a nice old sportster! But you have to factor in the added cost of do-rags and the wallet on a chain! LOL
                  You left out the mandatory harley boots.��
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I'm excited to get it folded in, guy is planning to deliver on Monday and with a DMV appointment already in the books for Tuesday this thing will be road legal come Tuesday evening!
                    I look forward to riding it with my wife to get her take, I have a feeling she will be SOLD on comfort which will make selling it hard(er). Not a big fan of the forward pegs and huge handle bars but the great thing is the aftermarket is so huge it wouldn't be hard to "trade" with someone looking for what I need. It definitely looks to be an aftermarket forward peg kit installed... I'm sure there is someone with a mid control kit that will be happy to swap.

The stereotypical Harley dude is definitely dying out... I don't care what others think when I ride anyway, after a 40K mile season last year you gotta be a complete jack wagon to not classify my lifestyle anything other than that of a motorcyclist. Harley or not I'm riding more than most do in 5 years in 1. I've owned 2 Harleys before... The one thing I have learned in life is never say never. I was never going to own another Harley but here we go again.

This vintage of bike is pretty dang reliable, can easily be upgraded (stoppers would top my list first), and hold their value...

Thanks for the input thus far.

Best,
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Proper! For me, any Sportster must have dual, shorty, chrome, staggered exhaust. I can take or leave the crossover pipe, but that air cleaner shape and shine is the ultimate style.

I don't see anything I would consider 'aftermarket,' since they're in the HD "Genuine Motor Parts & Accessories" catalog. Change the bars, pegs, maybe the seat, and it will be completely correct. Oh, how I hate those forward foot controls!
                      Last edited by Rob S.; 04-21-2021, 12:42 PM.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Anyone remember Ed Hertfelder ("The Duct Tapes") from Cycle magazine? He described the sound of a Harley analogues to that of "A laden trash truck leaving an uphill stop sign." I love that guy!
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Anyone remember Ed Hertfelder ("The Duct Tapes") from Cycle magazine? He described the sound of a Harley analogues to that of "A laden trash truck leaving an uphill stop sign." I love that guy!
                          Those were some great columns.
                          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

What do you mean by a poorly done rattle can paint job? It's all one color.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              If the boot fits, wear it, right, Ed?
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                                Those were some great columns.
                                He bound together his magazine articles and such into a series of books which I wouldn't mind acquiring. Google suggests they are not commonly available and expensive when they come up though.
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X