Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Q's on 1994 Sportster...

Quote Originally Posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    Much the same could be said about BMW. Now, regarding that Sportster. If it has good compression and shifts well, it's probably well worth flipping. Primary chain should be checked and adjusted if necessary.

If you keep it, swap out the carb for a Mikuni HSR.
    Boy..you really have turned into a Harley rider, haven't ya Mason...can't take a joke or laugh at yourself...lol..It's a joke, don't be so sensitive. Btw BMW stands for "Bring My Wallet"...see...funny.
    No signature

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    Boy..you really have turned into a Harley rider, haven't ya Mason...can't take a joke or laugh at yourself...lol..It's a joke, don't be so sensitive. Btw BMW stands for "Bring My Wallet"...see...funny.
    Ah, Trevor. I have become a Harley aficionado because the bike is exactly as advertised. I know that you go for stereotyping, but I really wish you would just accept that Harley is not the old AMF.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Ah, Trevor. I have become a Harley aficionado because the bike is exactly as advertised. I know that you go for stereotyping, but I really wish you would just accept that Harley is not the old AMF.
    I will try...just for you. Btw my buddy has one of those AMF Cafe Racer xlcr ...pretty cool Harley imo.
    I just think it's cool that we like our bikes so much.
    Sorry for the thread hacking Jedz...please carry on.
    No signature

Jedz, this is a good little read:
    https://www.cycleworld.com/2016/03/1...st-used-bikes/
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    I will try...just for you. Btw my buddy has one of those AMF Cafe Racer xlcr ...pretty cool Harley imo.
    I just think it's cool that we like our bikes so much.
    Sorry for the thread hacking Jedz...please carry on.
    The Cafe Racer is a very cool Harley, but yeah, the Evo bikes are simply head and shoulders above in reliability.
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Nice share!
    Yeah I think a single carb is stupid easy to clean or work on.. About as complex as my Kohler powered lawnmower. I know these EVO motors are abut as reliable as they come. Easy to work on and swapping heads, jugs and cams are as easy as it gets.
    I will likely not keep long but I will definitely put some miles on it, who knows I might want to just keep it as back-up to the Bonneville which has been plagued with odd issues in it's high mileage life(Today the Tachometer was deciding to work randomly)...
    Best,
    Jedz Moto
    2016 Yamaha FJ-09 Tracer - Fazer 900 The Mule
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125 - Back road discoverer
    1996 BMW R1100R
    1996 Harley Davidson Sportster XL1200 - The Freedom Eagle
    2015 Kymco Agility 125 - Wife's bike
    2017 Honda Fit - The Cheap New Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

The beauty of that Sportster is, no matter where you are, parts and service are available.
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Quote Originally Posted by Jedz123 View Post
    ...I know these are carbureted and that concerns me slightly as I have absolutely 0 experience with Carb'd Harleys...
    Don't sweat the carb, very simple. I recently helped a neighbor get his going, hadn't ever turned a wrench on a Harley before.
    Be a lot easier to sell that than the sidecar.
    Rich Desmond
    1980 GS1000S
    2007 V-Strom 650
    2008 Ducati 848
    2002 DR-Z400S
    1999 SV650 (race bike)

How about a pic of the 'expensive' (exhaust) side? It's (I'm) strange - I love Sportsters, but dislike every other Harley.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Quote Originally Posted by RichDesmond View Post
    Don't sweat the carb, very simple. I recently helped a neighbor get his going, hadn't ever turned a wrench on a Harley before.
    Be a lot easier to sell that than the sidecar.
    More I look at it the more confident I feel about it. Especially if I swap in a Mikuni off the bat.

The beauty of that Sportster is, no matter where you are, parts and service are available.
    Also there is more people that no way more than I do about these bikes. There is probably only a handful of guys proficient in knowing the Details of the WC Bonneville T120 and I'm likely one of those digits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    How about a pic of the 'expensive' (exhaust) side? It's (I'm) strange - I love Sportsters, but dislike every other Harley.
    So Looks like the mufflers are the only aftermarket thing... Hmm He said it has screaming eagle stuff. Looks like a forward control kit was installed. I agree I really like the look of these Sportsters more I look at it.

Jedz Moto
    2016 Yamaha FJ-09 Tracer - Fazer 900 The Mule
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125 - Back road discoverer
    1996 BMW R1100R
    1996 Harley Davidson Sportster XL1200 - The Freedom Eagle
    2015 Kymco Agility 125 - Wife's bike
    2017 Honda Fit - The Cheap New Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.