Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which is good cause you'll likely need it
    Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    The beauty of that Sportster is, no matter where you are, parts and service are available.
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
      which is good cause you'll likely need it
      Clearly you have not owned an Evo Sportster. Probably as reliable as your GS.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Jedz, I am sure you have the ability to deal with whatever might come up with the sporter.

Did you ask current owner if has the original bars? That might help future resale. But it seems current owner is unfamiliar with the changes.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          Jedz, I am sure you have the ability to deal with whatever might come up with the sporter.

Did you ask current owner if has the original bars? That might help future resale. But it seems current owner is unfamiliar with the changes.

I asked about stock parts and the current owner bought it for his wife as is... The guy is a typical cruiser guy in that he rides the big bad a$$ bike and he tried putting his wife is on a Sportster. She hates it though... Now he wants to get rid of it.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Clearly you have not owned an Evo Sportster. Probably as reliable as your GS.
            When the Evo engine came out, I entertained the notion of building (or having built for me) a one-off decent frame and an Evo crate engine / transmission. I was suprised to find the cost for the mechanical bits wasn't too bad, but the overall cost was a bit steep, so I shelved it.
            I would probably have went for an overall look like the XLCR, as that one always floated my boat.
            There is no way I'd have bothered with an earlier engine as I'd had too many friends with Harley troubles in the past.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              When the Evo engine came out, I entertained the notion of building (or having built for me) a one-off decent frame and an Evo crate engine / transmission. I was suprised to find the cost for the mechanical bits wasn't too bad, but the overall cost was a bit steep, so I shelved it.
              I would probably have went for an overall look like the XLCR, as that one always floated my boat.
              There is no way I'd have bothered with an earlier engine as I'd had too many friends with Harley troubles in the past.
              Aesthetically, the XLCR was about as pretty as any bike of its era, and I couldn't agree more. Ironhead Sportsters are s#it.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Ironhead Sportsters are s#it.
                But they look great. Die young, stay pretty.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  But they look great. Die young, stay pretty.
                  I don't think the run-of-the-mill Ironhead Sporties are even half as attractive as recent Evo Sportsters.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

I don't think the run-of-the-mill Ironhead Sporties are even half as attractive as recent Evo Sportsters.
                    Fair statement, half of zero is zero. poke-poke
                    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Well, specifically the engine, the rocker covers. Chrome trumps aluminum.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                        Well, specifically the engine, the rocker covers. Chrome trumps aluminum.
                        You do obsess about weird little bits, Rob.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

You do obsess about weird little bits, Rob.
                          I would've upgraded my 883 to 1200, the dealer would have done it and honored the new bike warranty, only the 1200 cylinders were a different color. And the Screamin' Eagle mufflers have a slightly different shape.

Comment

1200 cylinders come in all the same colors as 883 cylinders.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Xlforum.net and sportsterpedia have lots of usefull info, as does Hammerperf.com

Comment

So tomorrow at 11AM the deal goes down! I'll have it registered by Tuesday evening... Pretty excited, it will be a cool addition to the heard.

RogerW, thanks for the resources. I intend to go back to mid controls so hoping I could meet someone on a forum that would swap bit...

Best,
                                Jedz Moto
                                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X