Jetting for Velocity stacks vs K&N Pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jetting for Velocity stacks vs K&N Pods

Tried a search, and got some info, but not the specific answer I am wondering about.

I haven't decided to make this change as of yet, particularly since I have the jetting spot on for the pods, but I wondered if anyone had gone from more open exhaust (V&H) plus pods, to velocity stacks. Was there a significant jetting change required?

A storage unit fire about 9 months ago (thank god not the one with my bike in it) burned up all my spare parts including the unused jets from my dynajet kit, so if I decide to do it, wondering if I need to be prepared to re-jet. I'm expecting the answer is yes, just confirming nobody has done this and found the jetting was still correct.
    Last edited by nate665; 04-20-2021, 09:27 AM.

The air flow between stacks and high quality pods should not require much if any change of main jetting between the two.
    It's the use of cheaper pods that can cause issues as they are often not as free flowing as they should and can actually be more restrictive than the air box causing strangulation and power loss.
    Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
    VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post
      The air flow between stacks and high quality pods should not require much if any change of main jetting between the two.
      It's the use of cheaper pods that can cause issues as they are often not as free flowing as they should and can actually be more restrictive than the air box causing strangulation and power loss.
      Thanks, yes, I have K&N pods mounted (for about 10 years) and the jetting is spot on (with a main considerably larger than stock).

If we think it will be close I may go ahead and go for it and only pull the carbs for jetting if something seems amiss. I do have a colortune, so can verify with that.

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post
        That's what I was thinking. And you could easily put the pods back on.

Do we know what bike we're talking about?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          That's what I was thinking. And you could easily put the pods back on.

Do we know what bike we're talking about?
          1981 GS1000G, bored to 1085 with 1100 pistons in it. BS34 carbs, V&H 4 into 1 exhaust.

MAJOR bonus if the jetting doesn't require a change as I could use the pods on longer trips and the stacks for "special occasions".
          Definitely not a daily driver, maybe 1500 miles a year, so the premature wear from the stacks, especially used part time doesn't concern me too much.

I was on the forum about a decade ago as doctorgonzo back when I was doing all the initial work.
          Last edited by nate665; 04-20-2021, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Back in the day I went from K&N pods to velocity stacks on my Z-1. No noticeable difference...
            1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by bull958 View Post
              Back in the day I went from K&N pods to velocity stacks on my Z-1. No noticeable difference...
              Perfect. The decision to do it is 80% aesthetic and 20% potential performance bump from smoothing the air intake.

Comment

Originally posted by nate665 View Post
                Perfect. The decision to do it is 80% aesthetic and 20% potential performance bump from smoothing the air intake.
                Some people might read that quickly and think you meant a 20% potential performance boost! I would guess an actual increase (if any) of such a little amount you could not possibly feel it, unless the sound changes.

But I completely understand. The reason I favor pods for these bikes is 99.999% aesthetic.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  Some people might read that quickly and think you meant a 20% potential performance boost! I would guess an actual increase (if any) of such a little amount you could not possibly feel it, unless the sound changes.

But I completely understand. The reason I favor pods for these bikes is 99.999% aesthetic.
                  Yeah, a 2% to 3% boost, in certain ranges, maybe. It's mostly aesthetic.

Comment

We all see things differently.
                    I have pods on my bike and prefer the look to velocity stacks.
                    Of course if it is a track bike...stacks away!
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                    X