Colortune, is it needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colortune, is it needed?

I was reading an article on how to properly sync the carbs on the GS. They were using a Colortune to check on the fuel mixture and make sure it was correct. Is this Colortune really necessary or can the mixture be check another way? After putting a couple of new mixture screws in the carb I need to make sure everything is set properly.
    Current Bikes:

2019 Indian Chieftain Classic
    1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2018 Indian Chief Dark Horse
    2017 Indian Scout
    2006 Suzuki C50

Hello,
    I have never heard of Colortune. I use an "old-fashioned", four-column, mercury carb balancer. Perhaps if you have a link to Colortune, you'll get more response.
    sigpic
    '77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

Comment

I've heard the Colortune works well if your bike has VM carbs but not so well with CV type carbs.

Here's another way.

1. Take off the tank, set up some form of remote fuel supply.
      2. Set the idle mixture screws at 2 turns out.
      3. Warm up the engine and let it run.
      4. Adjust the idle to approx. 900 rpm.
      5. SLOWLY turn the screw at carb #1 in - at some point, the rpm are going to start dropping and the engine won't run as smoothly.
      6. Start turning the screw back out until you get the highest rpm and a smoother sound from the engine.
      7. At some point, turning the screw out further won't make any difference (and even further out may again take away the smoothness and the rpm).
      8. You want your screw turned IN as much as possible without affecting the rpm/smoothness.
      9. Re-adjust the idle to 900 rpm.
      10. Stop the engine to let it cool down a bit or place a big fan in front of the engine and do this while the outside air is cooler (morning/winter).
      11. Proceed with carb #2.
      12. Repeat steps 4 through 10, as necessary, for all carburetors.
      13. When complete, re-adjust the idle knob for the correct rpm as per your factory manual (usually 1050 rpm +/-100 rpm). In any case, do not idle below 900 rpm as this may result in insufficient oil flow.

Found here...http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...plug_chop.html
      Last edited by Burque73; 04-22-2021, 11:15 AM.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

there are 44 threads in the archives w/ the word "Colortune" in the Thread Title
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          there are 44 threads in the archives w/ the word "Colortune" in the Thread Title
          https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...archid=3222654

Rich, that link is a dead end.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by xkaes View Post
            Hello,
            I have never heard of Colortune. I use an "old-fashioned", four-column, mercury carb balancer. Perhaps if you have a link to Colortune, you'll get more response.
            This is the what the Colortune is. http://www.carbtune.com/colortune.html
            Current Bikes:

2019 Indian Chieftain Classic
            1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2018 Indian Chief Dark Horse
            2017 Indian Scout
            2006 Suzuki C50

Comment

The utility of a colortune for me was for re-jetting.

Comment

worked for me. Maybe its dependent on my login

Anyway,
                When searching, use ADVANCED, type keyword Colortune, select titles only (the only way to get meaningful results). you'll see 44 entries.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Carbtune is the way to go to sync your carbs; Colortune was shown to not be as effective with CV carbs as it might be with the VMs
                  sigpic
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Oddly enough, it was designed for use with CV carbs.
                    However, it only really comes into its own at idle and assuming a standard set-up of needle, spring, jets, etc, like most car owners of the day with an SU carb.
                    It CAN tell you about running conditions further up the rev range, but really you need a set of them and who's going to splash out for four Colortunes.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Hers my 2 cents seeing i use mine regularly on VM and CV carbs.

VM carbs are EASILY tunable via the side air screws. Also it tells how you pilot circuit is doing at idle. I will set the idle at 3000 to3500 and adjust air screws for the nice bunson blue color. Then i back off the idle to 1100ish and see what color the pilot circuit is. If its showing a bit lean you can adjust the air screw at idle and again run it up to 4000 or so and see what the main circuit tells you now. If they both are reasonably good then so be it. If the main circuit changes odds are youll need to tweek the pilots GENERALLY if carbs are stock jetting you just adjust the air screw for best color at idle then run it up to view the main circuit. Maybe tweek air screw for that happy middle ground setting.

CV carbs are another animal. The colortune will tell you two things. When the mixture screw shuts off fuel at idle and what the main jets doing at higher highway typical RPMs. Turn the miture screw in till the flame goes awaythen out till it comes just comes back solidly. Then go out another half turn. This gets real close to being right for idle and to supply enough fuel to transition onto the main circuit smoothly. IF it seems a bit stumbly between 1/8 to 1/4 throttle add 1/4 turn out and test ride again.

Second thing is it will show how the main circuit is doing. I just did a KLR the owner was gonna junk because" it wont run past 1/3 throttle". the previous owner put on an aftermarket pipe and sure enough the colortune showed the flame going away around 1/3 throttle. Opened carb to find the stock 145 keihin main jet in there. I went up 2 sizes to a 155 and bingo...full throttle monster. Colortune confirmed the jet choice was spot on. OWNER texted me when he got home and told me he was :STUNNED" on the ride home and now he cant sell it.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Grimly, i have two. I put one in each left side and do my thing....switch to right side.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          Hers my 2 cents seeing i use mine regularly on VM and CV carbs.

VM carbs are EASILY tunable via the side air screws. Also it tells how you pilot circuit is doing at idle. I will set the idle at 3000 to3500 and adjust air screws for the nice bunson blue color. Then i back off the idle to 1100ish and see what color the pilot circuit is. If its showing a bit lean you can adjust the air screw at idle and again run it up to 4000 or so and see what the main circuit tells you now. If they both are reasonably good then so be it. If the main circuit changes odds are youll need to tweek the pilots GENERALLY if carbs are stock jetting you just adjust the air screw for best color at idle then run it up to view the main circuit. Maybe tweek air screw for that happy middle ground setting.

CV carbs are another animal. The colortune will tell you two things. When the mixture screw shuts off fuel at idle and what the main jets doing at higher highway typical RPMs. Turn the miture screw in till the flame goes awaythen out till it comes just comes back solidly. Then go out another half turn. This gets real close to being right for idle and to supply enough fuel to transition onto the main circuit smoothly. IF it seems a bit stumbly between 1/8 to 1/4 throttle add 1/4 turn out and test ride again.

Second thing is it will show how the main circuit is doing. I just did a KLR the owner was gonna junk because" it wont run past 1/3 throttle". the previous owner put on an aftermarket pipe and sure enough the colortune showed the flame going away around 1/3 throttle. Opened carb to find the stock 145 keihin main jet in there. I went up 2 sizes to a 155 and bingo...full throttle monster. Colortune confirmed the jet choice was spot on. OWNER texted me when he got home and told me he was :STUNNED" on the ride home and now he cant sell it.
                          That's exactly how I have used one. To confirm jetting.

Comment

Chuck was showing me and my son that KLR when were down there a couple weeks ago. I thought his ability to to tune with it was pretty darn amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              Please forgive me for reviving an old thread, but I just ordered a colortune to work on my 83 850 and I discovered post-purchase that the colortune doesn't work as well for CV carbs.

Based on what chuck hahn says above, with CV carbs you're not looking for the blue flame but rather when the flame just appears + 1/2 turn? Just want to confirm you're not looking for color since you don't mention it?
                              - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                              - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Working...
                              X