Colortune, is it needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post

Please forgive me for reviving an old thread, but I just ordered a colortune to work on my 83 850 and I discovered post-purchase that the colortune doesn't work as well for CV carbs.

Based on what chuck hahn says above, with CV carbs you're not looking for the blue flame but rather when the flame just appears + 1/2 turn? Just want to confirm you're not looking for color since you don't mention it?
    I bought colortune years ago and never used it, was thinking about seeing if anyone wanted it...Can't remember what I paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
      Based on what chuck hahn says above, with CV carbs you're not looking for the blue flame but rather when the flame just appears + 1/2 turn? Just want to confirm you're not looking for color since you don't mention it?
      That is correct. I have seen a couple sets of CV carbs that showed differences in color, but MOST of them will just show the blue flame slowly puttering out, then stopping, as you turn the mixture screw IN. When you start to turn it OUT (SLOWLY), you will see the blue flame start puttering back in, then going steady. Add about 1/2 a turn more, as Chuck says. That will definitely get you in the ballpark.
      If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post

I bought colortune years ago and never used it, was thinking about seeing if anyone wanted it...Can't remember what I paid for it.
        Bummer, would have probably been easier to get from you rather than waiting for it to ship from the UK. Mine finally arrived today.
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post

That is correct. I have seen a couple sets of CV carbs that showed differences in color, but MOST of them will just show the blue flame slowly puttering out, then stopping, as you turn the mixture screw IN. When you start to turn it OUT (SLOWLY), you will see the blue flame start puttering back in, then going steady. Add about 1/2 a turn more, as Chuck says. That will definitely get you in the ballpark.
          Perfect, thank you!
          - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
          - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

To correct Cowboys post, i think he meant TUNE carbs not sync them. Syncing requires vacuum guages. AND just an FYI. If you use those blue emgo guages be sure to sync the neeles first. Get a few vacuum tees and hook all 4 dials to a single vacuum port. Remove the front lenses and theres a slotted brass screw on the dial faces. Set all 4 dials the same and then youre assured an accurate syncing. And yes they are actually very good syncers
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
            X