1983 GS850G Rebuild Complete!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS850G Rebuild Complete!

Hey all, I've made a few posts to date on this project I've been doing, and I finally completed it last weekend! Aside from a couple of smaller issues that remain to be sorted out, It runs great and looks pretty good doing it.
    I'm going to throw a few pictures in here and then at the bottom I'll throw together a list of everything I remember doing/new parts that went on. Hope you enjoy!

List of rebuilt stuff/parts in no particular order
    -replaced stator
    -replaced rectifier/regulator
    -rebuilt carbs (still giving me a little trouble with leaks while petcock is set to anything besides on, no idea why)
    -new petcock
    -new fuel line
    -replaced factory bars with a set from TCbros that are a little more comfortable and stylish
    -2 stage paint job done myself (if this wasn't already apparent from orange peel)
    -repainted calipers
    -new caliper pistons and seals on front and rear
    -Installed full OHA stainless brakeline kit
    -repainted parts of frame
    -new tach cable
    -replaced valve shims and corrected clearances
    -new valve cover, cam cap seals, and breather gasket from Realgaskets out of Tennessee (highly recommend them)
    -new fuel cap as the old one had a bad tumbler and wouldn't seal righ
    -repainted cylinder head
    -new hella horns (work intermittently, very loud when they do, might be a grounding issue?)
    -new throttle cable
    -new front master brake cylinder
    -Biltwell thruster grips
    -new fork seals and dust cap, went with 15 weight fork oil
    -new carb boots
    -countless hours spent cleaning chrome and metal parts with citric acid
    -new tires front and rear (rear was 17 years old, yikes.)
    -EBC organic pads on the front, semi-sintered on the rear.
    -Oil change
    -Final drive oil change
    -new battery

I think that's most of it, but I'm sure there's a couple I missed. Bike runs great, just need to sort out the manageable but annoying issues with the carbs, get the last of the air out of the front brake lines, and figure out why on earth the tach cable is whining.
    Fun, long, frustrating, rewarding project. Just waiting for a nice day to take it on it's maiden voyage through the Minnesota River valley.
    '83 Suzuki GS850G
    Minnesota

I'm not going to read all that! I know it cost at least as much as the bike to do all that not counting the love lavished ...but I like your style- A really good look you have going

Comment

Impressive work Gn0hm. It's a beaute
      Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
      1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Nice!

The '83 is the fastest year 850...
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Congrats!
          That a huge list of repairs and replacements.
          You deserve a trouble-free summer of riding.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

"rebuilt carbs (still giving me a little trouble with leaks while petcock is set to anything besides on, no idea why)"

Where do you see the fuel dripping from? I had a similar issue after rebuilding my carbs (same CVs as yours) and I knew the float heights were correct and needle valves were good. Turned out to be leaking O-rings on the fuel distribution pipes between carbs 1&2 and also 3&4 (the pipe between 2&3 is where the fuel line attaches, no leak there). Fuel was dripping along the front steel rail that the carbs are attached to, looked like it was seeping from the tops of the float bowls but it wasn't. Kinda hard to see the leak source with the carbs on the bike.

Great looking bike, well done!

Comment

Lots of TLC given to this bike. Great Job! I hope you figure out the carb situation. Enjoy your riding year.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                I'm not going to read all that! I know it cost at least as much as the bike to do all that not counting the love lavished ...but I like your style- A really good look you have going
                Yeah, I realize the cost of parts I put in vs the cash value of the bike was probably not the most financially wise choice I could have made, but for me it was about the rebuild and the time I got to spend with my dad working on it. Also the bike was so inexpensive for being as complete as it was when I picked it up ($300 USD) off craigslist that I figure I had a little headroom because of that.
                '83 Suzuki GS850G
                Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by DucatiDave View Post
                  "rebuilt carbs (still giving me a little trouble with leaks while petcock is set to anything besides on, no idea why)"

Where do you see the fuel dripping from? I had a similar issue after rebuilding my carbs (same CVs as yours) and I knew the float heights were correct and needle valves were good. Turned out to be leaking O-rings on the fuel distribution pipes between carbs 1&2 and also 3&4 (the pipe between 2&3 is where the fuel line attaches, no leak there). Fuel was dripping along the front steel rail that the carbs are attached to, looked like it was seeping from the tops of the float bowls but it wasn't. Kinda hard to see the leak source with the carbs on the bike.

Great looking bike, well done!
                  That actually sounds like it might be the problem. dripping from the front, seemingly off of 1&4, I just can't piece together why it's only sometimes. Doesn't happen when the bike is off and the petcock set to on, which I figure is because there's no vacuum then. Didn't happen while the bike was riding with the fuel set to on, but did happen with prime, and also reserve at idle.
                  '83 Suzuki GS850G
                  Minnesota

Comment

Nice ride ! Hope to see you on the road.....

Mpls ? Looks like the farm country.

maiden voyage through the Minnesota River valley.

Where you gonna ride that beast ?
                    Last edited by bonanzadave; 04-25-2021, 11:37 AM.
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                      Nice ride ! Hope to see you on the road.....

Mpls ? Looks like the farm country.

maiden voyage through the Minnesota River valley.

Where you gonna ride that beast ?
                      I personally reside in Minneapolis/St paul, parents place is out in the country. I won't have a garage up here to keep it in for another month or so, it'll move up to the cities after that becomes a reality.
                      I think I'm going to take it out on Scenic Byway outside of Belle Plaine for starters, pretty cool road with some nice twists that runs along the river valley.
                      '83 Suzuki GS850G
                      Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by Gn0hm View Post
                        I think I'm going to take it out on Scenic Byway outside of Belle Plaine for starters, pretty cool road with some nice twists that runs along the river valley.
                        Yep. Friend lives in East Union at 40 & 50. He use to live in Belle Plaine. Ride down to Henderson for a treat at Toodys. I live in Lakeville by Leos, HD, and Moto Primo.
                        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by Gn0hm View Post
                          That actually sounds like it might be the problem. dripping from the front, seemingly off of 1&4, I just can't piece together why it's only sometimes. Doesn't happen when the bike is off and the petcock set to on, which I figure is because there's no vacuum then. Didn't happen while the bike was riding with the fuel set to on, but did happen with prime, and also reserve at idle.
                          Mine was the same, no leak when not running because no vacuum to open the petcock. But it did leak as soon as I put it on Prime. Strange that yours leaks on Prime while riding but not while On...
                          The only way I could clearly see my issue was to remove the carbs and set them up on a bench with auxiliary gas tank. Watch for seepage from the fuel distribution tubes between Carbs 1-2 and also 3-4. If leaking it should appear almost immediately.

Comment

Working...
                          X