In-Line fuel filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In-Line fuel filter?

My bike has a small, inline fuel filter right after the petcock from the previous owner, is it needed? I think that fuel sometimes has trouble getting through there (it is set up correctly). Anyway to make it flow better? I don't really understand how, but sometimes unless a vacuum is created gas wont flow out of it, even when the petcock is on prime.
    1982 GS650GL

The tank is pretty clean
    1982 GS650GL

Comment

You don’t need any inline filters and can/should get rid of it
      sigpic
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Suzuki didn’t think you needed one. According to you, it’s actually keeping gas from getting where it needs to go. People use filters if they’re worried about particles from the tank getting through the petcock screen. Get rid of it.

Once off, verify function of petcock. Fuel should flow freely on Prime, with no vacuum applied. Fuel should not flow on ON or RESERVE unless vacuum is applied.
        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-24-2021, 08:30 AM.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Just to add to the confusion- I have inline filters on all my GS bikes. No problems. They are a more high flow type.
          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
          82 gs1100L probably the next project
          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            Suzuki didn’t think you needed one. According to you, it’s actually keeping gas from getting where it needs to go. People use filters if they’re worried about particles from the tank getting through the petcock screen. Get rid of it.

Once off, verify function of petcock. Fuel should flow freely on Prime, with no vacuum applied. Fuel should not flow on ON or RESERVE unless vacuum is applied.

Yep, the petcock works great, but there are definitely times when I have it on prime with the fuel filter attached and it just wont fill up with gas. I'm gonna just get rid of it.
            1982 GS650GL

Comment

A filter designed for a gravity feed system, like a lawn mower, is fine to use. A bubble inside seems normal so I wouldn't worry about that. You can test it by turning the petcock to prime with the feed line disconnected from the carbs. If fuel flows easily the filter is fine.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The last time I had my 11E in for service, the mechanic installed an inline filter. I never got around to asking him why, but I trust him.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

There's already a pretty good fuel filter on the petcock inside the tank. Pull the petcock out and see if it's torn or missing.
                  And as was mentioned there's yet another coarse filter above the carb float needle and finally, the carb bowl itself is a "settling" bowl .

An inline fuel filter is handy if the one on the petcock is no good. Otherwise it's duplication, complication, extra dangle and, can even cause trouble if the air bubble is in the sun...

Comment

I could never figure why an inline filter was wanted or needed as long as "you are certain" the OEM screen is there & in good condition. But like he said if you use one that is for gravity flow system it should be fine. For me it is always more aggravating to deal with an inline filter than just the plain fuel line.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Been a while since we had an oil thread, but a fuel filter one will do.

Fit one - fit a good one that flows properly. The stupid little ones don't, and as you have seen cause a problem.
                      First time you get stranded at the side of the road because the stupid little filters in the carb inlets have choked up, you'll wish you fitted a decent inline filter that you could see was getting dirty.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Did you ever figure how the crud got through the very fine fiber filter on the pet cock, that could clog the much courser screen in the carbs? very interesting.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                          Did you ever figure how the crud got through the very fine fiber filter on the pet cock, that could clog the much courser screen in the carbs? very interesting.
                          Don't know about your GSs, but mine don't have a fine fibre filter on the petcock - it's a fine open mesh that will let finer fibrous material through, eventually clogging up the fine mesh filters on the carbs.
                          Another drawback of the fine mesh is that age and old fuel varnishes up the holes, so that a mesh that looks clear actually isn't, which leads to a tank that's half full running out of sufficient fuel to feed the engine.
                          During my ownership and trial of one of the cheap petcocks, I noticed the fine mesh was much much clearer than I'd seen mine for years, so when I tossed the useless petcock to one side I retained the pickup mesh and fitted that to the rebuilt petcock for a while.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Suzuki fitted them to some models, my brother had a mid 2000's GSX750 that had one as standard so guess one of those would do the job if you wanted to fit one.
                            1978 GS750C

Comment

There is a fine mesh filter on the petcock that prevents anything from getting through. An additional filter could restrict flow.

Comment

Working...
                              X