Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In-Line fuel filter?

Default In-Line fuel filter?

My bike has a small, inline fuel filter right after the petcock from the previous owner, is it needed? I think that fuel sometimes has trouble getting through there (it is set up correctly). Anyway to make it flow better? I don't really understand how, but sometimes unless a vacuum is created gas wont flow out of it, even when the petcock is on prime.
    1982 GS650GL

The tank is pretty clean
    1982 GS650GL

cowboyup3371 is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

You don’t need any inline filters and can/should get rid of it

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Suzuki didn’t think you needed one. According to you, it’s actually keeping gas from getting where it needs to go. People use filters if they’re worried about particles from the tank getting through the petcock screen. Get rid of it.

Once off, verify function of petcock. Fuel should flow freely on Prime, with no vacuum applied. Fuel should not flow on ON or RESERVE unless vacuum is applied.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-24-2021 at 08:30 AM.

Just to add to the confusion- I have inline filters on all my GS bikes. No problems. They are a more high flow type.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqjChIgzP5Y
    1986 yamaha fazer 700 - for sale
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Quote Originally Posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Suzuki didn’t think you needed one. According to you, it’s actually keeping gas from getting where it needs to go. People use filters if they’re worried about particles from the tank getting through the petcock screen. Get rid of it.

Once off, verify function of petcock. Fuel should flow freely on Prime, with no vacuum applied. Fuel should not flow on ON or RESERVE unless vacuum is applied.

Yep, the petcock works great, but there are definitely times when I have it on prime with the fuel filter attached and it just wont fill up with gas. I'm gonna just get rid of it.
    1982 GS650GL

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

A filter designed for a gravity feed system, like a lawn mower, is fine to use. A bubble inside seems normal so I wouldn't worry about that. You can test it by turning the petcock to prime with the feed line disconnected from the carbs. If fuel flows easily the filter is fine.

The last time I had my 11E in for service, the mechanic installed an inline filter. I never got around to asking him why, but I trust him.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Gorminrider is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

There's already a pretty good fuel filter on the petcock inside the tank. Pull the petcock out and see if it's torn or missing.
    And as was mentioned there's yet another coarse filter above the carb float needle and finally, the carb bowl itself is a "settling" bowl .

An inline fuel filter is handy if the one on the petcock is no good. Otherwise it's duplication, complication, extra dangle and, can even cause trouble if the air bubble is in the sun...

I could never figure why an inline filter was wanted or needed as long as "you are certain" the OEM screen is there & in good condition. But like he said if you use one that is for gravity flow system it should be fine. For me it is always more aggravating to deal with an inline filter than just the plain fuel line.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100