In-Line fuel filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phred View Post
    There is a fine mesh filter on the petcock that prevents anything from getting through. An additional filter could restrict flow.
    I've never seen a finer mesh on any add-on filter than the one in the tank. It's pretty much the standard mesh for carburetors in all sorts of vehicles with gravity feed tanks and a carb bowls as water traps ...Paper ones are finer but they are usually seen in concert with a fuel pump, for cars or diesels that use injectors.

But, hey. Be happy. Add another if you want.

Comment

Yes, that's what I's saying, the one in the tank, on the pet cock, is very fine almost like cloth, the ones in the carbs are like fine screen door material, not near as fine as the one in the tank.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

In the 40 years I've had my bike, I've tried the filters, several types, they all ended up in the trash can. Filter free.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
          In the 40 years I've had my bike, I've tried the filters, several types, they all ended up in the trash can. Filter free.
          I used to have that same attitude. Back in the day a "Buddy" came up with some clear fuel line and a bunch of us grabbed some of it. Didn't take too long to figure out WHY he got it so cheap, it dissolved and got into everything. Cleaning some crud out of an otherwise clean carb is no big deal, doing it half a$$ed drunk at 3am in the dark is a different story.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
            I used to have that same attitude. Back in the day a "Buddy" came up with some clear fuel line and a bunch of us grabbed some of it. Didn't take too long to figure out WHY he got it so cheap, it dissolved and got into everything. Cleaning some crud out of an otherwise clean carb is no big deal, doing it half a$$ed drunk at 3am in the dark is a different story.
            But a filter wouldn't have helped either...(hose after filter).

Other than that, what Grimly says applies. Though I have to add that I've had no major trouble with the mesh filters on my petcocks (other than them getting dislodged, but an easy fix once you know it happened), but also: regular fuel around here has no Ethanol added and is of rather high quality, and I've either had to put my PO-abused petcocks through the ultrasonic (cleaning the mesh) or had to replace them altogether.

My personal conclusion: In a healthy GS fuel system that doesn't need to ingest fuel of dubious quality or is ridden close to the Sahara, additional filters are unnecessary at best.
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Hinge View Post
              Suzuki fitted them to some models, my brother had a mid 2000's GSX750 that had one as standard so guess one of those would do the job if you wanted to fit one.
              Good tip here. I have been running a mower type on mine, but just ordered an early 2000's Bandit to replace it.

Comment

Working...
              X