Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New coils, new ignition, run off electricity

Default New coils, new ignition, run off electricity

Not sure what it'd be called, but I installed new coilpacks, and a new ignition replacement, correctly ofcourse, and I went to do the timing and I ran into an issue. Anytime I get the testlight to go off, i get a spark at where the coilpack mounts, it's only on one coil, and the coil does touch the mount but there is rubber stopping it from getting any sort of connection to electricity, also when I get the test light to go off, my lights get brighter.

Took a video, you cant see the spark anymore because I fixed a spot that the rubber tore, but you still do hear the spark, and also the lights getting brighter.

https://youtu.be/8KuDmVQtHws
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ

Want a "twin" for my bike

Are both coils connected to properly installed spark plugs? That could be a reason for sparks in unexpected places.

The fluctuations in your lights is expected. When the coil is charging it's drawing power from the battery which pulls voltage down. When it stops and a spark occurs (the coil discharges) it's not drawing power so your lights get brighter. Similarly, you'll find your tail lights get brighter when you disconnect your headlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer2600 View Post
    Are both coils connected to properly installed spark plugs? That could be a reason for sparks in unexpected places.

The fluctuations in your lights is expected. When the coil is charging it's drawing power from the battery which pulls voltage down. When it stops and a spark occurs (the coil discharges) it's not drawing power so your lights get brighter. Similarly, you'll find your tail lights get brighter when you disconnect your headlight.
    Not connected to plugs just sitting freely right now, gonna swap wires ane see if it's a coil or not
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ

Okay so with plugs connected the spark does go to the plug now, still cant get the test light to go off for 2 and 3 (right side coil) and with spark plugs in that coil I cant get a spark to go off with just using the advance but if I press my starter they will spark
    Last edited by timebombprod; 04-24-2021 at 01:50 PM.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ

Quote Originally Posted by timebombprod View Post
    still cant get the test light to go off for 2 and 3 (right side coil) and with spark plugs in that coil I cant get a spark to go off with just using the advance but if I press my starter they will spark
    That's normal and expected, the coils fire 180 apart. If the spark is strong, sounds like you have a working system.

Should coilpacks get warm while just having bike in the on position and killswitch on but not running? Never noticed so never asked.

I do have spark when I plug them in but when plugged out it does run off somewhere on the coilpack mount just never had seen that.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ

That's normal and expected, the coils fire 180 apart. If the spark is strong, sounds like you have a working system.
    Yes just needs timing, and the carbs back on. Gave them to a ship for fuel level adjustment after the rebuild (didnt number floats) and it's been a whopping 5 days for an hour of work lol. If I knew that, I would've brought them to the guy thatd do it for half as much and the same amount of waiting time.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ

Uodate,Update, hot not warm, still can touch.

Right side coil is hotter than left side I noticed
    Last edited by timebombprod; 04-24-2021 at 10:23 PM.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ

Quote Originally Posted by timebombprod View Post
    Uodate,Update, hot not warm, still can touch.

Right side coil is hotter than left side I noticed
    For this reason, you don't want to leave the ignition ON when the bike isn't running. Power is continuously flowing while the coil is charging, the only time power isn't flowing is when the ignition/ignitor/points breaks the ground side in order to spark/discharge the coil.

For this reason, you don't want to leave the ignition ON when the bike isn't running. Power is continuously flowing while the coil is charging, the only time power isn't flowing is when the ignition/ignitor/points breaks the ground side in order to spark/discharge the coil.
    Okay, well that's good it's not a actual problem, been trying to set timing so I have to do that. Having a bit of issue getting timing set but it should be figured out.

Light stays on a good bit after passing the T mark, but is fine before F mark.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ