Thread: Going for ride and bike wont start

Default Going for ride and bike wont start

So frustrating.

Put it on the charger to see if that works. Think I charged it last around christmas.

I really hope I get it running before it gets too cold.
    GS1000G 1981

In a perfect world after 4 months the batt. would still be fully charged. In the real world, probably not. Good luck, hope all goes well.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

earlfor is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

4 months? The battery has been too dead to start it for 3 months. heh eh
    Last edited by earlfor; 04-24-2021 at 05:08 PM.
    I support entropy for all.

Nearly all Covid deaths in the U S are unvaccinated people.

Quote Originally Posted by earlfor View Post
    4 months? The battery has been too dead to start it for 3 months. heh eh
    I gave up trying to start it aftet charging for an hour. Thought Id give it a night. Then I decided to test the voltages. 12.54 with ignition off, and normal numbers with headlamp. Decided to try cranking it and it started. But it was allready in the garage and it was dark and it had snowed too much.
    GS1000G 1981

GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Noreg View Post
    I gave up trying to start it aftet charging for an hour. Thought Id give it a night. Then I decided to test the voltages. 12.54 with ignition off, and normal numbers with headlamp. Decided to try cranking it and it started. But it was allready in the garage and it was dark and it had snowed too much.
    ......and when you engage the starter that probably drags down to about 12.2 or so. Not enough.

argonsagas is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

One hour at a normal rate will not fully charge the battery , but if you are checking it right after coming off the charger you should have more than 12.5 volts

Looks like replacement time.
    "The only thing worse than ignorance is arrogance." AE

......and when you engage the starter that probably drags down to about 12.2 or so. Not enough.
    I believe it went to 10.something...
    GS1000G 1981

GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

I believe it went to 10.something...
    There is your problem. Insufficient battery capacity. Roughly, the ignition system will not start the engine unless there is approximately 12.2 (minimum) volts online in the system with the starter engaged. There is very little amperage available at 12.2 volts. A good, charged battery should not drop below about 12.5 when the starter is engaged. This can be overcome if you have a kick start and don't use the electric starter. A battery should be brought up to full charge about every two weeks, or be on a battery maintainer which will maintain proper voltage and charge. I expect over the past four months, the battery dropped to minimum charge after the first month and continued to lose charge. This causes the cells to sulfate and short out. In a nutshell, a battery sitting for months in a discharged state is a self destruct situation. I would replace the battery and make it a point to put it on a 1 or 2 amp trickle charger for a couple hours about every ten days, or buy a 1 or 2 amp battery maintainer which will keep it charged to the correct level automatically and can be left connected all the time.

bonanzadave is offline Forum Guru Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

There is your problem. Insufficient battery capacity.
    Even with a new, fully charged battery the voltage drop to my coils was significant. So I did a relay mod to the coils. Direct batt voltage to the coils. Starts now immediately.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Quote Originally Posted by bonanzadave View Post
    Even with a new, fully charged battery the voltage drop to my coils was significant. So I did a relay mod to the coils. Direct batt voltage to the coils. Starts now immediately.
    I did this years ago to my old 850. Never had a problem since.