Fuse blew twice, half my bulbs went out, voltage seems to high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuse blew twice, half my bulbs went out, voltage seems to high

The fourth fuse from the bottom. Rear lamp, headlamp (low, high and park), indicators bulbs, fifth gear bulb, neutral bulb died. Not at the same time.

It runs a little rough. Lose power when I accelerate. Does not like full throttle, when I let off the throttle it returns to normal.

The remaining gear bulbs are too bright, I can see white light. It goes to normal bright when I let off the throttle and it starts slowing down.

I ran it a little with 15a fuse for the fourth and fifth fuse. Had to get my grandfather to donate some correct ones.

Battery has some issue, it had 12.14 volts after charging all night, charger wont charge it more but says its not full.

Fuse box seems to have fresh corrosion, it has been stored inside a cold garage for 6 to 8 months. I have added about 12 litres of fresh fuel.

Any other ideas than scrape the fuse connectors and buy a new battery?
    GS1000G 1981

How's the stator in that bike?
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

“Battery has some issue, it had 12.14 volts after charging all night, charger wont charge it more but says its not full. “

An overcharging r/r will smoke lightbulbs and eventually the battery....get a decent r/r ,new battery,and test afterwards.....no more than 14.5 volts .
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        How's the stator in that bike?
        Not sure how I would check. Visual inspection?

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        “Battery has some issue, it had 12.14 volts after charging all night, charger wont charge it more but says its not full. “

An overcharging r/r will smoke lightbulbs and eventually the battery....get a decent r/r ,new battery,and test afterwards.....no more than 14.5 volts .

I took out the indicator bulbs on one side and replaced them, to rule out any wiring error making them not work. After replacing bulbs the indicators again works.

I guess Ill have to find the parts numbers for that R/R and the triumph harness thing.

Edit:
        The R/R is SH775 and the triumph thing is T2500676, in case anyone after me needs them to solve the same issue. I will ask the local tractor store if they can source these two.
        Last edited by Noreg; 04-25-2021, 11:10 AM.
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
          The R/R is SH775 and the triumph thing is T2500676, in case anyone after me needs them to solve the same issue. I will ask the local tractor store if they can source these two.
          If getting them locally as new items, the Triumph lead might not be too expensive (normally around €15 from a Triumph dealer), but the SH775 is now obsolete as new stock and either the used market from ebay US or new from ebay US is the only real practical source now, but avoiding the fakes. The updated replacement is the SH-748, but it's larger and might be an impossibly tight fit.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

So I checked the battery voltage, it was at a nice 13 volts when I came out after it sitting all night. I then started the bike and it gradually climbs to something like 15 volt. At 5000 RPM I saw 18 volt before I decided to shut it down...

It seems to struggle a bit to start (water in fuel probably), but ran fine with the choke on after a few tries. A bit hard to tell because the bike doesn't like it around freezing.

Is there any way to reduce this voltage temporarily so I can still use the bike?

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            If getting them locally as new items, the Triumph lead might not be too expensive (normally around €15 from a Triumph dealer), but the SH775 is now obsolete as new stock and either the used market from ebay US or new from ebay US is the only real practical source now, but avoiding the fakes. The updated replacement is the SH-748, but it's larger and might be an impossibly tight fit.
            I decided to ebay it after reading this. But that will take some time, so then the question is how to temporarily make it run properly. 18 volts is probably enough to fry the battery and the bulbs. And it seems the voltage increases the longer it stays at a certain rpm. Electricity confuses me so I don't really understand the processes.

Why does my fuse keep blowing though?
            GS1000G 1981

Comment

(....)I then started the bike and it gradually climbs to something like 15 volt. At 5000 RPM I saw 18 volt before I decided to shut it down...

(...)
              Is there any way to reduce this voltage temporarily so I can still use the bike?

(...)

I decided to ebay it after reading this. But that will take some time, so then the question is how to temporarily make it run properly. 18 volts is probably enough to fry the battery and the bulbs. And it seems the voltage increases the longer it stays at a certain rpm. Electricity confuses me so I don't really understand the processes.

Why does my fuse keep blowing though?
              Your regulator is fried; and you absolutely cannot run the bike without one; you're compounding the damage!

Fuses blow to _protect_ the rest of the system; this can be caused by either voltage or current climbing too high.

Sorry, but until you replace the R/R, your bike is grounded. If you really want to ride until your SH775 arrives; you can install almost any other known-good R/R (for example an used one from some other bike). You have to make sure to get a what's commonly referred to as a "5 wire / three phase AC" R/R. As for the rated power, I believe 30A should be sufficient. I recommend checking back with the forum when you get your hands on one.
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                Your regulator is fried; and you absolutely cannot run the bike without one; you're compounding the damage!

Fuses blow to _protect_ the rest of the system; this can be caused by either voltage or current climbing too high.

Sorry, but until you replace the R/R, your bike is grounded. If you really want to ride until your SH775 arrives; you can install almost any other known-good R/R (for example an used one from some other bike). You have to make sure to get a what's commonly referred to as a "5 wire / three phase AC" R/R. As for the rated power, I believe 30A should be sufficient. I recommend checking back with the forum when you get your hands on one.
                Good that we have a definite diagnosis! Could I run it without the stator connected? I guess I can trailer it back to the garage.

Estimated delivery May 13, 2021 - Jun 06, 2021 <- Quite a big range of expected delivery for the SH775, the triumph harness should be here well before that.

I struggle finding a R/R with the right amount of wires, and it seems somewhat hard to source.
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Here’s a typical 1980’s r/r used on millions of bikes.....shindengen sh-232
                  see if can locally source one...it’s a decent shunt style

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes you could run it without the Stator connected but then how far are you comfortable riding it before you call for a tow truck to come pick you up? The stator’s primary mission is to keep that battery charged (think alternator in a car; similar concept)
                    sigpic
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Good that we have a definite diagnosis! Could I run it without the stator connected? I guess I can trailer it back to the garage.

Estimated delivery May 13, 2021 - Jun 06, 2021 <- Quite a big range of expected delivery for the SH775, the triumph harness should be here well before that.

I struggle finding a R/R with the right amount of wires, and it seems somewhat hard to source.
                      Yes, the word-wide supply chains currently do have quite broad ranges for delivery; covid, evergreen, etc. pp.

Generic three-phase R/R's are produced&used in the millions. Instead of exclusively online, you can also ask your nearest friendly motorcycle shop if they have an used one to spare, rummage through a scrapyard, or some local parts dealer.

You can disconnect the stator, yes, but the battery is intended for starting an engine, not prolonged use. Depending on what exactly you're trying to do; you run the risk of discharging your battery too far; this will damage it or at the very least shorten it's lifecycle considerably.
                      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Noreg, you may want to post up a picture of the SH775 you bought on ebay. There are may fakes out there. You want a genuine Shindengen SH775. A picture of the top fin showing the white lettering, would almost guarantee that it's legitimate.

As stated, Running the bike while your battery is getting 18v from your defunct charging system isn't good for the battery, which you may want to replace anyway. Running your bike with out the stator connected will only let the bike run for so long. "you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?"

Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I don't know if this option is available, but if if you have a scrapyard/bike-breaker near you, pick up a R/R from any 80s/90s Honda. It should be easy enough to wire in, and will tide you over until you get your SH775.
                          1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                            Here’s a typical 1980’s r/r used on millions of bikes.....shindengen sh-232
                            see if can locally source one...it’s a decent shunt style

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB400....m46890.l49286
                            Thank you, this led me to the correct Norwegian term for this thing. Made it easier to google alternatives.

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                            Yes you could run it without the Stator connected but then how far are you comfortable riding it before you call for a tow truck to come pick you up? The stator’s primary mission is to keep that battery charged (think alternator in a car; similar concept)
                            I had a car with a broken alternator, and it had a pretty limited range. But being able to ride it back to the garage would be easier.

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                            Yes, the word-wide supply chains currently do have quite broad ranges for delivery; covid, evergreen, etc. pp.

Generic three-phase R/R's are produced&used in the millions. Instead of exclusively online, you can also ask your nearest friendly motorcycle shop if they have an used one to spare, rummage through a scrapyard, or some local parts dealer.

You can disconnect the stator, yes, but the battery is intended for starting an engine, not prolonged use. Depending on what exactly you're trying to do; you run the risk of discharging your battery too far; this will damage it or at the very least shorten it's lifecycle considerably.
                            I will check with the motorcycle repair place and such. Maybe post on a local facebook page.

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                            Noreg, you may want to post up a picture of the SH775 you bought on ebay. There are may fakes out there. You want a genuine Shindengen SH775. A picture of the top fin showing the white lettering, would almost guarantee that it's legitimate.

As stated, Running the bike while your battery is getting 18v from your defunct charging system isn't good for the battery, which you may want to replace anyway. Running your bike with out the stator connected will only let the bike run for so long. "you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264298636380 <- I got this one. I can post a picture when it arrives.

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
                            I don't know if this option is available, but if if you have a scrapyard/bike-breaker near you, pick up a R/R from any 80s/90s Honda. It should be easy enough to wire in, and will tide you over until you get your SH775.
                            I will ask around. I don't think there is scrapyards anywhere closer than Trondheim (900 kilometers, 600 miles). Could do the trip though (on the CBR125).
                            GS1000G 1981

Comment

"https://www.ebay.com/itm/264298636380 <- I got this one. I can post a picture when it arrives."

Looks legit! Good one. And $100 is a great price for a new one.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                              X