Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuse blew twice, half my bulbs went out, voltage seems to high

Quote Originally Posted by Noreg View Post
    Good that we have a definite diagnosis! Could I run it without the stator connected? I guess I can trailer it back to the garage.

Estimated delivery May 13, 2021 - Jun 06, 2021 <- Quite a big range of expected delivery for the SH775, the triumph harness should be here well before that.

I struggle finding a R/R with the right amount of wires, and it seems somewhat hard to source.
    Yes, the word-wide supply chains currently do have quite broad ranges for delivery; covid, evergreen, etc. pp.

Generic three-phase R/R's are produced&used in the millions. Instead of exclusively online, you can also ask your nearest friendly motorcycle shop if they have an used one to spare, rummage through a scrapyard, or some local parts dealer.

You can disconnect the stator, yes, but the battery is intended for starting an engine, not prolonged use. Depending on what exactly you're trying to do; you run the risk of discharging your battery too far; this will damage it or at the very least shorten it's lifecycle considerably.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer One needs a runner while wrenching

Noreg, you may want to post up a picture of the SH775 you bought on ebay. There are may fakes out there. You want a genuine Shindengen SH775. A picture of the top fin showing the white lettering, would almost guarantee that it's legitimate.

As stated, Running the bike while your battery is getting 18v from your defunct charging system isn't good for the battery, which you may want to replace anyway. Running your bike with out the stator connected will only let the bike run for so long. "you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?"

I don't know if this option is available, but if if you have a scrapyard/bike-breaker near you, pick up a R/R from any 80s/90s Honda. It should be easy enough to wire in, and will tide you over until you get your SH775.
    1980 GS550ET

Quote Originally Posted by tom203 View Post
    Here’s a typical 1980’s r/r used on millions of bikes.....shindengen sh-232
    see if can locally source one...it’s a decent shunt style

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB400....m46890.l49286
    Thank you, this led me to the correct Norwegian term for this thing. Made it easier to google alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    Yes you could run it without the Stator connected but then how far are you comfortable riding it before you call for a tow truck to come pick you up? The stator’s primary mission is to keep that battery charged (think alternator in a car; similar concept)
    I had a car with a broken alternator, and it had a pretty limited range. But being able to ride it back to the garage would be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by roeme View Post
    Yes, the word-wide supply chains currently do have quite broad ranges for delivery; covid, evergreen, etc. pp.

Generic three-phase R/R's are produced&used in the millions. Instead of exclusively online, you can also ask your nearest friendly motorcycle shop if they have an used one to spare, rummage through a scrapyard, or some local parts dealer.

You can disconnect the stator, yes, but the battery is intended for starting an engine, not prolonged use. Depending on what exactly you're trying to do; you run the risk of discharging your battery too far; this will damage it or at the very least shorten it's lifecycle considerably.
    I will check with the motorcycle repair place and such. Maybe post on a local facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Noreg, you may want to post up a picture of the SH775 you bought on ebay. There are may fakes out there. You want a genuine Shindengen SH775. A picture of the top fin showing the white lettering, would almost guarantee that it's legitimate.

As stated, Running the bike while your battery is getting 18v from your defunct charging system isn't good for the battery, which you may want to replace anyway. Running your bike with out the stator connected will only let the bike run for so long. "you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264298636380 <- I got this one. I can post a picture when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by steveb922 View Post
    I don't know if this option is available, but if if you have a scrapyard/bike-breaker near you, pick up a R/R from any 80s/90s Honda. It should be easy enough to wire in, and will tide you over until you get your SH775.
    I will ask around. I don't think there is scrapyards anywhere closer than Trondheim (900 kilometers, 600 miles). Could do the trip though (on the CBR125).
    GS1000G 1981

"https://www.ebay.com/itm/264298636380 <- I got this one. I can post a picture when it arrives."

Looks legit! Good one. And $100 is a great price for a new one.

Estimated delivery May 13, 2021 - Jun 06, 2021 <- Quite a big range of expected delivery for the SH775, the triumph harness should be here well before that.
    Here's a pretty decent way to estimate shipping time: If it's coming out of a metro area on either coast expect the latest date to apply, if it's coming out of a major city in the middle of the country you can expect the earliest date to apply.
    1983 Naked Goldwing Interstate GL1100

1982 GS450txz (former bike)

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it" ~ Upton Sinclair

Yep, that's the real thing. I think he bought up the last stocks of the SH-775 when Polaris stopped fitting them. From what I've seen, he's just about the only legit supplier of New Old Stock ones, every other new one being fake.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

I will ask around. I don't think there is scrapyards anywhere closer than Trondheim (900 kilometers, 600 miles). Could do the trip though (on the CBR125).
    That's too far to try and find something that may or may not be available. Two other options occur to me - would the RR from your 125 be compatible with your GS? Alternatively, would you like me to try to find a cheap 'temporary' RR here in the UK? Postage to you shouldn't take too long, fingers crossed.
    1980 GS550ET

Quote Originally Posted by steveb922 View Post
    That's too far to try and find something that may or may not be available. Two other options occur to me - would the RR from your 125 be compatible with your GS? Alternatively, would you like me to try to find a cheap 'temporary' RR here in the UK? Postage to you shouldn't take too long, fingers crossed.
    The 125 is not mine, it is a work motorcycle, so I am not at liberty to dismantle it for spares. But I am sure it is sufficient to get out on the road for some scenic rides if it stops snowing again.

If you can find something reasonable that might be of interest. How much do they run? I really want to get it running so I can sort it out. I haven't depleted all the potential local sources, but I am a bit swamped with work and studies right now (exam time).
    GS1000G 1981