• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your welcome. Good luck. 👍
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I have some round rubber pads and rectangular ones too but nothing like that big one.
      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
      82 gs1100L probably the next project
      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Seems like you got the answer about the specific dimenstions and such of that front mounting.

Other notes about GK seat:
        - THe mounting is the same as the G seat (G, not GL). GK & G seat are interchangeable (me and PlaneCrazy tried it), they are different, but are interchangable, the mounting are the same.

- That front mounting, where it mounts to the seat pan, seems to be most subject to rusting out.

- I looked for a couple years (ebay search-alert)before I found a decent stock GK seat to replace my original seat. Most all that came up were bad shape. THose that looked like might be half decent, on closer look that front mounting area was rusted out (like my original one).

- 82 GK seats are solid black. most 83 & 84GK seats are two tone.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Design of all G seat mounting of 81 and prior are different than 82 and after.
          82 and after had the latch/release on back and those pins on the front (previous was latch on side and hinges on other side).
          So if you are looking for other model seats, you will want 82 and after.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hey, we need to see pics of this GK.

Comment

Thanks for the added info. I think the seat on the bike(non GK) is off an older 1000, hinges and latch removed. It is comfortable but I like the slight step in the stock seat. I’ll post some pictures if I can figure that out and give the old girl a bath, lots of road grime trailering it home in the rain for 400+ miles
              1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
              1984 GS1100GK
              1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
              1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
              1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

Originally posted by ALB80-850 View Post
                . . . . . . .
                . . . . I like the slight step in the stock seat. . . . . .
                Ah... stock GK seat doesn't have what would be called a slight step.
                (see pics in two of the links in my sig line).

A G seat has what might be considered a slight step.

Maybe I am not understanding you complelty. Lets resolve that before I yack more.
                Last edited by Redman; 04-27-2021, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Your right, it’s a little more than slight.
                      1984 GS1100GK
                      1982 GS1100E “RANGER”

Comment

New member, and also new tinkerer of a gk. I'm attempting to replace the electronic ignition and I purchased a dyna s. I don't know anything about bikes but I'm mechanically inclined. I believe I got the wrong part. The bolt to fasten the rotor in place is a tad to small. Is there an adapter? Do I need to get a bolt with a shoulder?

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhu gk View Post
                          New member, and also new tinkerer of a gk. I'm attempting to replace the electronic ignition and I purchased a dyna s. I don't know anything about bikes but I'm mechanically inclined. I believe I got the wrong part. The bolt to fasten the rotor in place is a tad to small. Is there an adapter? Do I need to get a bolt with a shoulder?
                          \

You need the mechanical advance from a GS with points.
                          Marc
                          AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                          1978 GS1000C X2
                          1978 GS1000E X2
                          1979 GS1000S
                          1979 gs1000
                          1983 gs400e

Comment

When I had an '84 GK, I replaced the stock foam and cover with the foam and cover from an '82 G seat. Frankly I found the G seat to be superior in comfort to the GK seat. There just wasn't enough room, it seemed to me, to move around on the GK Seat without raising way up onto the rear seat area. Just something to chew on in case you haven't done it yet.
                            Current Bikes:
                            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

After 8000+ miles on a stock 37 year old GK seat, something will be done. Bare minimum, new foam, possible conversion to a G seat. Depending on what I can find and in what condition.
                              1984 GS1100GK
                              1982 GS1100E “RANGER”

Comment

I can vouch for the long-distance comfort of a plain G seat. However, part of that was simple endurance*. When I was riding the things day in, day out, it was comfortable, but more than once I was pushing myself to get back home the final 20 miles after a full day in the saddle. Of course, that was on the higher mileage of the two bikes, and the seat foam on that one had taken a pounding over a couple of hundred thousand miles, although it's serviceable enough still for local trips.
                                The other seat (currently on the daily user 80 bike) is about half the mileage, even though the same age, and it's definitely firmer to feel, so provided much longer term comfort when I swapped them over.

* Any time I was off the saddle for more than a fortnight, it took several days to get my ass broken back in to higher mileages and longer hours. At the end of a week I'd be back to normal.
                                Last edited by Grimly; 07-12-2021, 01:59 PM.
                                ---- Dave
                                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X