DIY brake hoses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY brake hoses?

Anyone making their own? I see a couple of makers, kits, individual pieces, etc. My 77GS750 project will need hoses, I have other projects that will require custom hoses, so I'm thinking of trying to make some up. Anyone have any experience with this?

Nessism is your man for this.
    Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

someday, I might try this or go the Aliexpress route...
    VolmBrake hose on Aliexpress.com

Comment

You may have a local hose shop that sells all the pieces you need. Here in Portland Oregon there's a shop called "Oil Filter Services" (https://www.ofsco.net/) that sells lengths of all different sizes, from about 1' and up, plus banjos in a variety of bends. The hoses are pre-fitted with threaded ends, so it's just a matter of buying the right lengths, fittings, and screwing them all together. It's five minutes of work once you have the parts in hand. The hose fittings allow you to easily reclock the banjo fittings, to get things just right.

There might be a similar shop around your way!

I put a call into Oil Filter Services to see what brand of hose it is they sell, but sounds like the whole shop has been closed for the last few days because of a covids outbreak.

Comment

I'm glad you asked this because I completely rebuilt my brake system on my 83' 750 including master cylinder but I still have the original rubber lines and my brakes SUCK!

Need some new too! If you find a solution let us know please.
        1983 GS750ES WITH UNI PODS, 4-1 KERKER
        We can rebuild her. We have the technology.

Comment

I'm finding it difficult to find the correct ends for some reason. Can anyone tell me do I look for 10mm banjo fittings or -3AN banjo? From what I found -3AN hose is what people use. Just can't find a good source for banjos with the collar and olive setup. There's lots of banjos with just a flare type fitting. Hard to find what I want with the angles I need all from one place. Am I not searching the right terms? Just spent an hour looking.

Comment

I'm also curious if your making new lines is it wise to just run two lines out of the master straight down to each side? I think my bike has an anti dive device. Usually an aftermarket kit will eliminate a hose and simplify somehow.

Comment

EDGECRUSHER, what bike is this for? If it's in the top line of you signature, I apologize, but it's in yellow and impossible to read on a white background. Probably looks fine in dark mode.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                EDGECRUSHER, what bike is this for? If it's in the top line of you signature, I apologize, but it's in yellow and impossible to read on a white background. Probably looks fine in dark mode.
                Sorry about that, I'll change that. Thanks. Yes it's an 83 750ES. I just found a kit for $200 w/anti-dive. Gotta think I can build em cheaper hopefully?

Comment

It looks like the Russel Pro System 1 or 2 banjos is about the only way to go.

Comment

I built Earl's lines for a 750ES I had for awhile. Cheap and easy. I ditched the anti-dive which simplified things too.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've used Earl's stuff too. It's good. Your brakes will still suck though, just slightly less... all GS brakes suck in my opinion although the 83 are the best of them. I would upgrade them with the Twinpot calipers & bigger rotors...
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                        I've used Earl's stuff too. It's good. Your brakes will still suck though, just slightly less... all GS brakes suck in my opinion although the 83 are the best of them. I would upgrade them with the Twinpot calipers & bigger rotors...

Any reason a later 90's suzuki katana caliper wouldn't work look to be twin pot tokicos similar to your kawis

Comment

There has to be a race or hydraulics shop around there somewhere.

I stopped by Earl's Indy last fall seeking brake line and threaded fittings to make my own for a project, but it was actually much cheaper to have them make up a crimped set using the old lines as a pattern, and the result was much, much nicer.

Obviously, there are tons of motorsports suppliers and shops in Indianapolis, but very very few are willing to even talk to the general public. Poke around locally in most of the US, and you will likely uncover a hydraulics or motorsports shop that can make you a much nicer set of crimped lines.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            There has to be a race or hydraulics shop around there somewhere.

I stopped by Earl's Indy last fall seeking brake line and threaded fittings to make my own for a project, but it was actually much cheaper to have them make up a crimped set using the old lines as a pattern, and the result was much, much nicer.

Obviously, there are tons of motorsports suppliers and shops in Indianapolis, but very very few are willing to even talk to the general public. Poke around locally in most of the US, and you will likely uncover a hydraulics or motorsports shop that can make you a much nicer set of crimped lines.
                            Well it turns out maybe I just need to upgrade calipers/rotors first then have new hoses made.

Comment

Just ordered CBR F3 rotors and tokico twins off a 98 katana600.

Comment

Working...
                              X