82 GS850GL Sealing Airbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850GL Sealing Airbox?

I recently picked up an 82 GS850GLZ that was sitting around for a decade. I did a full carb rebuild, oil change, good spark, good compression. Got it running but only on choke. So I moved onto the airbox and found a K&N filter and bunch of rotten weatherstripping.

I can't find any info about what kind of stock gaskets are supposed to be in the airbox. The filter slides into a channel and there is a big gap at the top. Should I apply weatherstripping to the top of the airbox or the top of the filter insert? How thick should it be? Is there something more durable than weatherstripping that people are using? Is there anywhere else that needs to be sealed? Anybody got pics?

Welcome, Fleawest.

BikeCliff's website, linked in my signature, is a great resource you're going to need. Lot's of how-tos there, and a lot specifically for 850s. There was an article there on airbox sealilng, but is now a dead link. Someone w/ same bike will likely be along shortly to set you straight. I know I've read about using weather stripping, but don't remember specifics.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-27-2021, 11:00 AM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      Welcome, Fleawest.

BikeCliff's website, linked in my signature, is a great resource you're going to need. Lot's of how-tos there, and a lot specifically for 850s. There was an article there on airbox sealilng, but is now a dead link. Someone w/ same bike will likely be along shortly to set you straight. I know I've read about using weather stripping, but don't remember specifics.
      Thanks for the info Rich! I found the article you were talking about and it's exactly the info I'm looking for. Link to PDF is here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ox-sealing.pdf

Comment

Glad that worked for you. I went back and looked again. The first link “Airbox Sealing” is dead, the second one “CLICK HERE” worked.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
        X