Well...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well...

Previously, I ran the bike the other day and it was going well, for the most part, gave the bike the beans and went to about 9k and after that it started crapping on me
    checked timing to make sure it didnt go out of place and it was a tad bit off so i got it correct but my battery died out, brought battery to get charged and they said it wouodnt take a charge, 3 days old....

Returned battery which was made in 2017 for a new one and this was made in 2021, hooked it up, checked timing to make sure it's all well and it was. So I went to start the bike, started up the instant i pressed the starter and at first was on all 4 cylinders forsure, then dropped down to 2 or 3 a second after it was started, has a lope in the idle at that point, and that stupid short was back, skip, skip, skip.

I did get to do a bit of the charging test being, bike off, lights on, and idle which had all good readings, right at the top of the specs for the test, but didnt go any further.

So far, for the bike, this has been done very recently, carb rebuild which went great, float bowls weighed and reset, new Rick's stator, new sh775 RR, new dyna coilpacks, and new dyna S ignition.

All of these pieces correspond properly, is there anything that could be checked.

One thing I'll add is when i first did my timing with the new coils, if I didnt have a spark plug in the coil plug, I would have spark zapping from the negative connection on my left side coil, if a plug was in there, it wouldnt.

I have no clue what to check, only other thing that is messed up is my turn signal flasher and I have a spare I believe but I didnt think that would cause these issues.

I'll get a video of bike running tomorrow I'll make sure to get its initial startup and catch the skip on video.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

One thing to add is could this be anything mechanical

Valve clearance is up to date, intake boots are new, airbox and to the boots are airtight.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Snapchat-86219119.jpg

Could this bit have anything to do with it it's the only thing I haven't messed with other than if theres any delays to mess with
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

That bit is the starter solenoid (relay). If your bike starts OK when you bless the start button, leave it alone.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          That bit is the starter solenoid (relay). If your bike starts OK when you bless the start button, leave it alone.
          Okay will do
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

If your bike starts OK when you bless the start button, leave it alone.
            Does that require a priest or can a layman do that on his own? Not sure that sprinkling anything electrical with holy water is a good idea!
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Skip the HOLY WATER!! What we need here is PRAYER!!!!!
              sigpic
              '77 GS550B
              '78 GS550C

Comment

Haha. This bike may just need an exorcism.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Hopefully this critter can be coaxed to behaving, before Covid 21 appears.

“only other thing that is messed up is my turn signal flasher”

pull the turn signal fuse and see if ignition performs correctly.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    Hopefully this critter can be coaxed to behaving, before Covid 21 appears.

“only other thing that is messed up is my turn signal flasher”

pull the turn signal fuse and see if ignition performs correctly.
                    Be awesome if that was it, I will be trying that
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

Haha. This bike may just need an exorcism.
                      I'd believe it!
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

Ian, just want you to know we’re not laughing at you(at least I’m not). We’re pulling for you, and your bike.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I'm a little concerned about when you mentioned that when you were first setting your timing and didn't have plugs in it and the spark jumped,etc.
                          When you do all the tests on your system and it still has the same problem,I might consider disconnecting the Dyna S and hooking-up the original OEM Suzuki CDi to see if the Dyna S might have fried it's 'black box'/control module.

Comment

Ian, just want you to know we’re not laughing at you(at least I’m not). We’re pulling for you, and your bike.
                            I know lol no worries
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                              I'm a little concerned about when you mentioned that when you were first setting your timing and didn't have plugs in it and the spark jumped,etc.
                              When you do all the tests on your system and it still has the same problem,I might consider disconnecting the Dyna S and hooking-up the original OEM Suzuki CDi to see if the Dyna S might have fried it's 'black box'/control module.
                              Unfortunately CDI and old signal generator are not able to be used.

This is a new dyna s, like after the one I already had, it would really suck if it got fried that fast, it still does react to timing advance and such.

Is there any way to check if the dyna is fine.
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                              X