No announcement yet.

Well...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been having this guy help me on Facebook, ran a bit of other tests aswell and now we suspect the relay is at fault, one more quick test to make sure it is at fault.

Funny enough, when I got this relay, one of the staples in the package was removed and the relay had a layer of dust on it.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Andddd.....bad relay!
      Best possible outcome in my opinion, I will have to wait about 7 hours to get another one but once its hooked up I will be able to see how my coil wires are doing and if that's good I start it up, and if that's good I ride and give it the beans to see if it keeps up. If it does i would be able to say I'm (mostly) done.
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Didnt think I'd be back on here to ask more questions, but oh well.

I got a new relay, and tested everything to make sure all was well, and infact it was. I had 12 volts sourced to my coils and it was not.showing any signs of weakness, checked this morning and same thing, so I decided to put my coilpacks back on.

After putting the coilpacks on, I went ahead and tested for voltage loss and total voltage at the coils, checked the positive and was only losing .15v no big deal, I just went ahead and checked the total voltage seeing that the positive side of things was my main problem, 10.5v. Checked the negative voltage loss and it was 1.5v.

Before I added the coilpacks and the wires were sitting freely not connected to anything, voltage was 12, after i connected the coilpacks and wires to them, 10.5v
        Sanded the coilpack mounts and still the same voltage. Also everytime I turn my killswitch off with the key on my plug cap pops, wondering if it's trying to source a ground or what.

I would think my dyna ignition wouldnt be the issue seeing that the voltage was fine before the coilpacks were added, and changed afterwards, but what do I know.

My ignitor has been deleted so the coil wires just run straight from the ignition to the coilpacks. I checked the voltage loss at where my dyna wires connect to the coil wires and there was about .1v lost while the killswitch was off, when I turned on the killswitch it went to about 1.4v

What to do?
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

I just checked for voltage loss directly.on the dyna and no numbers were significant enough to show it was the issue, put the probe everywhere on the Dyna and it reads .09v
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

“Also everytime I turn my killswitch off with the key on my plug cap pops, wondering if it's trying to source a ground or what.”

probably normal, but I’d ask dyna.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              “Also everytime I turn my killswitch off with the key on my plug cap pops, wondering if it's trying to source a ground or what.”

Yes I will be calling them
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Darn they're not open today, was talking to a guy and he said it's out of his expertise to say what is going on, possibly the resistance from the coils is his guess.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post

Before I added the coilpacks and the wires were sitting freely not connected to anything, voltage was 12,
                  Ian, I don’t think you are measuring voltage drops correctly. Prolly my bad as I’m not very good at explaining stuff via a key board. If you recall, in one of my earlier posts I said that a circuit must be live and flowing current in order to have voltage drops.

In your statement that I just quoted above, if your coils are not connected and the wires are hanging freely, the circuit can not have CURRENT flowing through it, so there will be no voltage drops.

What you measured when you read the 12 volts with the wires not connected, is a thing called “Open Circuit Voltage”. Since no current is flowing, there will be no voltage drops across any of the wires/connectors/resistances in that circuit, and the meter will read the source voltage.

I’d suggest that you do some goggles and find out how to properly measure voltage drops. Or maybe one of the experts on this GS form might jump in and explain it much better than I could.

More good luck to you.
                  Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                  1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                  1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Didnt think I'd be back on here to ask more questions, but oh well.

Checked the negative voltage loss and it was 1.5v.

Also everytime I turn my killswitch off with the key on my plug cap pops, wondering if it's trying to source a ground or what.

What to do?
                    They ALWAYS come back.

You're not going to get zero loss on the negative side with a transistorized ignition. If the dyna's ground has very low loss AND the coil negative AT the coil and AT the dyna have the same (or very close to the same) loss then there is nothing for you to fix - the loss is part of the dyna circuitry. All this is check with the key and killswitch on and flowing power of course.

The coils fire when the power to them is cut, whether the ignitor/ignition does it or killswitch (or key) it doesn't matter. The reaction is the same.

You put it all back together, test ride it, and find more things to fix on a 39 year old bike.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post

You get that “pop” because the coil was charged up and you broke the coil circuit. When that coil field collapses a spark is discharged. Doesn’t matter if your key switch breaks the circuit, or an ignitor breaks the circuit, or points break the circuit, or the Dyna breaks the circuit, energy will be discharged.
                      Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                      1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                      1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Alright awesome so I should be good to go, luckily the bike is already back together and I made sure the spark is good and it is. Will be seeing how it runs and rides soon, hopefully all is well. After this its forks. Thabks for the help all.

Pdq it's fine, I got what i needed to do done, and you helped a great amount
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

Alright awesome so I should be good to go...Thabks for the help all.
                          Good to hear. I didn't see it in your video but be sure to put a fuse between pin 30 of the relay and your positive connection on the starter solenoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                            Good to hear. I didn't see it in your video but be sure to put a fuse between pin 30 of the relay and your positive connection on the starter solenoid.
                            I didnt do that, will be soon. Still have other things to figure out unfortunately...
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                            X