No announcement yet.

Well...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t know who told you to add a fuel filter but you don’t need it. And I remember someone telling you before to look up GSRick, who lives there in FL, for help
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      I don’t know who told you to add a fuel filter but you don’t need it. And I remember someone telling you before to look up GSRick, who lives there in FL, for help
      I did PM him nothing came out of it but its fine
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

And an older guy he rides triumphs, different opinions just happen.

One of his bikes

image-2021-04-21-22-20-24.jpg
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
          So the wires that come from the igniter to the coilpacks?

Just making sure, I dont have the igniter anymore but just makes easier to picture what I'm talking about.

The one thing that hasn't been replaced for the ignition system are those wires.

Better to open harness or just tie them off and run a new set? Only challenge for me will be making the 12v connection for the hot wires

I was referring to the 4) high tension leads/spark plug wires from the coils to the sparkplugs.Those were the ones I've found to want to arc/short to the main frame.The places they were shorting on the other bike I mentioned earlier were the brackets near where the coils are mounted,but they could also short around where the plug caps are.. it all depends.The more power you have in your coils,the more they will want to find a way to spark to the 'ground path'(the path of least resistance):frame,brackets,etc.I've never had a problem with the wires you just mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
            I was referring to the 4) high tension leads/spark plug wires from the coils to the sparkplugs.Those were the ones I've found to want to arc/short to the main frame.The places they were shorting on the other bike I mentioned earlier were the brackets near where the coils are mounted,but they could also short around where the plug caps are.. it all depends.The more power you have in your coils,the more they will want to find a way to spark to the 'ground path'(the path of least resistance):frame,brackets,etc.I've never had a problem with the wires you just mentioned.
            Oh, well the leads are new and non suppression (dont know if that helps). I guess I should mess with the leads
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Just wanna ask quickly if this is okay, both are grounds, one from R/R (negative connection) and one is from negative battery connection.

Snapchat-1398509385.jpg
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Just wanna ask quickly if this is okay, both are grounds, one from R/R (negative connection) and one is from negative battery connection.

I would certainly Not use a battery box as a ground point for those two Very important ground connections !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62753[/ATTACH]
                Please don't use that area for ground connections;attach those wires directly to another bolt meant for your main ground connections right to the frame with metal to shiny metal so the wires connect better;that can be the source of your problems right there,imo.
                You need more sleep so you can get 'the edge' back;I hope you can catch-up on sleep,very important.
                Last edited by grcamna2; 05-02-2021, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Please don't use that area for ground connections;attach those wires directly to another bolt meant for your main ground connections right to the frame with metal to shiny metal so the wires connect better;that can be the source of your problems right there,imo.
                  You need more sleep so you can get 'the edge' back;I hope you can catch-up on sleep,very important.
                  Will be doing lol, it's where things have been at so I never changed it, will find a better ground.
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Will be doing lol, it's where things have been at so I never changed it, will find a better ground.

I'm going to guess that your bike's been desperately starving for 'some' solid ground connection.

Comment

Are there any groundpiints for my 650?
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

GSRick is in Lake Mary, FL. I don't remember the name of the repair shop.
                        He won't reply to your PM - he is banned from this forum.
                        Last edited by allojohn; 05-02-2021, 03:08 PM.
                        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Are there any groundpiints for my 650?

Yes there are,I would need to look at the bike in front of me to find the best place.Do you have a factory repair manual Ian ? They have all that in their diagrams(that's why I love the OEM Suzuki manuals so much)and it will show you the best place to hook those Grounds to.

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                            GSRick is in Lake Mary, FL. I don't remember the name of the repair shop.
                            He won't reply to your PM - he is banned from this forum.
                            Oh, bummer (or maybe not)
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Yes there are,I would need to look at the bike in front of me to find the best place.Do you have a factory repair manual Ian ? They have all that in their diagrams(that's why I love the OEM Suzuki manuals so much)and it will show you the best place to hook those Grounds to.
                              No I dont have an OEM but I have a clymers, sorry I'm so used to just asking for help i dont really look through it, it's been used for my charging and ignition system but mainly just that

Looking through its electrical system chapter I cant find anything about where to ground
                              Last edited by timebombprod; 05-02-2021, 03:17 PM.
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

No I dont have an OEM but I have a clymers, sorry I'm so used to just asking for help i dont really look through it, it's been used for my charging and ignition system but mainly just that

I don't have the Factory Suzuki book for the GS650GLZ but I do for a few others;if I did I would take a pic and send it to you(the Clymer book is decent but can't match the pictures & diagrams from the Suzuki oem Book) so you could see exactly where they attach the ground wires to the frame.I would look through the Clymer book also and see if any of it's pictures gives a clear view of where they show the Negative- end of the battery cable bolted to the main frame of your bike;the Ground-Negative strap from the engine to the frame should also be strongly attached to the frame in the same way,although the engine motor mounts can give a Ground- connection if that motor-mount 'plate is clean of black paint(scraped-clean where the bolt goes through and shiny metal) where it touches the engine & where the motor mount bolt goes through there,very important.That's always the best place to install those.The ground wires are So important to complete the 12vt. DC connection for All of your electrical system;if you have a bad ground connection on that it can fry many components in your system and make it very expensive to repair.
                                Last edited by grcamna2; 05-02-2021, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X